Si-tech exhaust valve on a DUI suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi DIR forum.

I would love to hear your perspective about replacing the stock exhaust valve on my DUI suit with a Si-Tech for easier venting.

Just used the Si-Tech valve on a loaner suit and noticed a considerable difference.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
I have Si-Techs on my DS. I leave mine set on the next-to-lowest pressure setting until I want to rest stretched-out on the surface, then I turn it up to the next-to-max setting. They work well for me. It's an easy mod and not that expensive. Go try it.

DC

It's usually a drop-in replacement that your LDS can do. Assuming DUI doesn't cement down the valve (why would they?), all that is needed is to remove the Apeks valve, maybe replace a gasket, and screw in the new si-tech. I had the same thing done with my (DC) suit because the Apeks was a bit leaky, cost something like $60-80 total.

Last edited:
You can buy the valve and the gasket.
Remove the old gasket which should be glued to the suit.
Then glue the new gasket on, let dry, screw the new valve down.

It's usually a drop-in replacement that your LDS can do. Assuming DUI doesn't cement down the valve (why would they?), all that is needed is to remove the Apeks valve, maybe replace a gasket, and screw in the new si-tech. I had the same thing done with my (DC) suit because the Apeks was a bit leaky, cost something like $60-80 total.

DUI glues both exhaust+inlet valves onto their suits with something equivelant to seamgrip. Small amounts get into the threads and its a bear to unscrew the valve the first time. You need the right tool or make a tool - essentially a pin spanner.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like switching the valve is common and doesn't introduce any problems.

I'm pretty new to drysuits. Curious if its ok to just replace the valve (or have the shop replace the valve) or should I re-pressure check the suit after the installation before diving it?

I'm pretty new to drysuits. Curious if its ok to just replace the valve (or have the shop replace the valve) or should I re-pressure check the suit after the installation before diving it?

When ever I've replaced or serviced my dump valves, I've never bothered with a pressure check.

I would suggest maybe a check out dive afterwards, though. You will notice pretty quick if there is water seeping in - it's normally just a case of the valve not being done up tight enough, and it's nice to be in a situation where you can hop straight back out and rectify the problem, rather than have to dive for an hour in cold water with it seeping down your arm.....

I believe you have the stock low profile Apex drysuit exhaust valve. I've heard mixed reports on them, but have had mine for 4 years and it will exhaust very freely, sometimes too freely.

Valve placement makes a huge difference. Mine is directly on the midline of my shoulder, looking from my side and is the most advantageous location to vent. If yours is further towards the middle of your body, that may be the problem.

I believe you have the stock low profile Apex drysuit exhaust valve. I've heard mixed reports on them, but have had mine for 4 years and it will exhaust very freely, sometimes too freely.

Valve placement makes a huge difference. Mine is directly on the midline of my shoulder, looking from my side and is the most advantageous location to vent. If yours is further towards the middle of your body, that may be the problem.

Hi Doc!

It's a little hard to dump - compared to the si-tech on the loaner suit I've been diving.

Perhaps you can take a look at it next weekend?

Sleeve rotation while putting the suit on makes a huge difference.
Make sure the valve is one the outside of your shoulder. Then when you lift your shoulder it will dump freely.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom