Shredding nails

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my dive vacations, I will get the gel polish for my toes. Lasts forever, but yes, it does a number on the nails. I give up on my fingernails, they always chip up after a couple of days. Seche Vite topcoat does a great job of protecting and strengthening the nail. Since I have used this, it does wonders on my nails. I use it commando, no other nail polish. I no longer fuss with handling my contact lenses with frayed or chipped nails. Seche Dry Fast Top Coat
Do you have to apply this daily? I tried Bondo and found it was chipping on the second day. Not sure if I should have applied another layer so I just abandoned it.

Do you have to apply this daily? I tried Bondo and found it was chipping on the second day. Not sure if I should have applied another layer so I just abandoned it.
I apply two coats before vacation and don’t bother with packing the stuff. The coat may start to peel after several days, but overall nail is protected. I periodically apple some Sea Buckthorn oil to my cuticles and nails, I think that helps as well.

What's the reason you want to avoid gel? Is it the chemicals, or sanding of the nails? Or UV curing? I'm wondering because semi-cured gel nail strips (no need to thin nails, no chemicals that can be absorbed through nails, but UV cured) work great for me. As do polygel nails (also a better alternative to regular gel/acrylics).

I think the fact that our hands are constantly wet while diving contributes to the weakening of the nail. It's just hard to keep the nails clean and dry, and the salt water is brutal. Just my theory. My nails take about a week after diving to start recovering and get strong and grow again. I've taken clear nail polish on dive trips and just keep applying a new coat every day after diving. It helps a little bit. I just ordered this from Amazon to give it a try.

Nail-Aid Biotin Ultimate Strength - Nail Treatment & Strengthener - Clear, 0.55 Fl Oz (08873)​

Update from my previous post. I've used this nail strengthener and it did not improve my nail health, but I still use it as a top/clear coat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom