Shredding nails

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got something like that once. It was 'activated' by the sun. It only worked 'ok' - not the same as the stuff applied at the salon.

Yes, uses that blue light thingie!

You get chips on your toes even though you wear lycra socks?

You get chips on your toes even though you wear lycra socks?
Yes, but I'm applying my own polish. One base coat, two coats of polish (Revlon) and a topcoat.

I used to do my own manicures and pedicures and I tried various products - but they never lasted very long. I found a very good, professional manicurist. Now I get my hands and toes done every month and I think that it's an enjoyable experience, the polishes last, my nails are healthy, and it is worth the price. Just my opinion.

I used to do my own manicures and pedicures and I tried various products - but they never lasted very long. I found a very good, professional manicurist. Now I get my hands and toes done every month and I think that it's an enjoyable experience, the polishes last, my nails are healthy, and it is worth the price. Just my opinion.
You haven't met me in person so this might not make sense to you. I'm very chatty (ok, maybe that comes through here!) and I have a difficult time being quiet during a manicure, pedi or massage. So I walk out of those things feeling anything BUT relaxed!! I dread the day I either can't see well enough to do my toenails or my flexibility keeps me from doing them!!!!

Avoid acrylics if you have issue with gel, they are worse.
Kimela, as mentioned in the other thread, try another nail tech. I am alone in a room with mine, and often we are alone in the shop as I get the first appt on a weekday and her other staff are not in yet. We talk continually. :) She is however just a little more expensive.

I wear lycra socks under my wetsuit. Do you think that the wetsuit is abrading her toenails? If so, socks might be a possible solution.
I wear short neoprene socks for warm water diving and long neoprene socks for cold water diving, and my toenails stay pretty perfect even after 2 weeks of diving. So yes, socks are pretty protective.

It's the finger nails that get wrecked though, not only because of the soaking/diving itself, but pulling on and off wetsuits. I try to use the pads of my fingers as much as I can, but one time rushing, and they're already chipped.

I'm going to try having dip powder done that my buddy swears by, before my next dive trip in February. From what I've seen on our dive trips, her nails still look amazing after a 2 week dive trip and 29 dives. Meanwhile I re-did my nails twice myself during the same trip. After a couple of days of diving, they were already ruined each time. We shall see...

I wear short neoprene socks for warm water diving and long neoprene socks for cold water diving, and my toenails stay pretty perfect even after 2 weeks of diving. So yes, socks are pretty protective.

It's the finger nails that get wrecked though, not only because of the soaking/diving itself, but pulling on and off wetsuits. I try to use the pads of my fingers as much as I can, but one time rushing, and they're already chipped.

I'm going to try having dip powder done that my buddy swears by, before my next dive trip in February. From what I've seen on our dive trips, her nails still look amazing after a 2 week dive trip and 29 dives. Meanwhile I re-did my nails twice myself during the same trip. After a couple of days of diving, they were already ruined each time. We shall see...
The dip powder would look good after several WEEKS of diving! That stuff is impervious to everything! But that's the stuff that ruined my nail beds years ago - they recovered over time.

Generally, I'm not wearing a wetsuit that is difficult to put on and take off, so I don't think that's it. I think it's just age and weak nails. I'm going to try the Orly Bonder that a friend recommended. R saw it in my amazon cart and said 'what the heck is this? It's RUBBER?!' Good for a laugh. I'll let you all know if it works for me. :)

The dip powder would look good after several WEEKS of diving! That stuff is impervious to everything! But that's the stuff that ruined my nail beds years ago - they recovered over time.

Generally, I'm not wearing a wetsuit that is difficult to put on and take off, so I don't think that's it...
Oh, that's interesting to know about the dip powder. I hate shellac for that reason - ruining the nail beds and making nails brittle. My friend seems to think that this newer system doesn't do that. I guess I'll try it once.

My wetsuits aren't hard to put on or take off either. It's just the way that I'm holding it between my thumb and fingers and sliding my hands up, grazing the fingertips against the neoprene. I once asked my AOW instructor why my nailpolish wouldn't withstand diving, and she said it wasn't the diving, it's the wetsuit. She suggested using the pads of my fingers instead of the tips, and it helped slow down the chipping, but it still happens. She said she gave up on nailpolish before dive trips years ago. Oh well, 20 years later, I still try. :)

I think the fact that our hands are constantly wet while diving contributes to the weakening of the nail. It's just hard to keep the nails clean and dry, and the salt water is brutal. Just my theory. My nails take about a week after diving to start recovering and get strong and grow again. I've taken clear nail polish on dive trips and just keep applying a new coat every day after diving. It helps a little bit. I just ordered this from Amazon to give it a try.

Nail-Aid Biotin Ultimate Strength - Nail Treatment & Strengthener - Clear, 0.55 Fl Oz (08873)​

For my dive vacations, I will get the gel polish for my toes. Lasts forever, but yes, it does a number on the nails. I give up on my fingernails, they always chip up after a couple of days. Seche Vite topcoat does a great job of protecting and strengthening the nail. Since I have used this, it does wonders on my nails. I use it commando, no other nail polish. I no longer fuss with handling my contact lenses with frayed or chipped nails. Seche Dry Fast Top Coat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom