Showcase Critter May: Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby
Canthigaster Jactator

Milletseed_and_Haw_Whitespotted_Toby.jpg

These small white spotted little fellas are the most common Hawaiian Toby. Some are irregularly spotted on their snout or body (black blotches).They dodge in and out of the reef and I often see them hovering watching me watching them. Although small and seemingly shy these little buggahs are not afaid to have it out with the big guys. They will take cookie bites out of the fin of a much larger fish.

On night dives I have seen them resting on a piece of coral, as if they were taking a nap.

We've seen them up to about 50'

Oh and would you believe it? they have no known Hawaiian name :wink:

There is a couple of cinder blocks in front of my place. I was snorkeling and dove down and put my hands on one of them. Out pops one of these guys, turns around to stare at me.

I imagined him saying "EXCUSE ME! This is my home! What do you think you are doing?"

(I have a vivid imagination but it amuses me . . . . )

Does anyone know why their bellies get all fat and irregular shaped sometimes? I've seen many that look like they just ate a bunch of small pebbles or coral debris. Some look as though they could burst at any second!

Puffer-1.jpg

They are so cute! I don't know anything about them much...maybe I can find something. they seem to hang at the base of things...."low swimmers".

Sweet! They remind me of sharpnose puffers.

P1018910.jpg

Got the chance to follow a toby a bit today. Seems they are very curious and patient, bend this way and that....fun little fish :D

Back
Top Bottom