Shoulder pull dump valve, y/n

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never use the inflator to dump for fear of ripping the thing off. besides a shoulder dump works better for descent. I also use it for adjustment at depth. works for me. I just never saw the logic in raising the inflator up to vent air when you are horizontal other than hoping the bubble in your back would work its way up the hose. I believe this is why there is usually a shoulder and but dump. at least on my bc.

On the current wing I have there is no pull dump valve on the shoulder so if I want to dump from that location I have to raise the inflator and dump. I use the rear most of the time but there occasions a shoulder pull dump would be nice. Is there any reason not to have one? Are they failure points?
You are probably sensing a general view that shoulder pull dumps are not essential, and do represent a possible point of failure, albeit with a low likelihood. Since they really are not necessary, why bother? I have had my LP inflator valve come off the corrugated hose in my hand while diving double steel 120s without a drysuit inflator hose in place. Certainly got my attention.

Thanks for all the reply's and I am one for fewer failure points for sure. Why take the chance. However, with that in mind. I dive with a few buddies. Two of them put between 100-150 dives a year in this cold and dark lake and one has been diving for well over 30 years, is a YMCA instructor. All three have pull dumps. When we discuss gear and why we each use what we use sometimes it is a little tough to say they are a failure point when they literally have thousands and thousands of dives on BC's with pull dumps, some of which are deep wreck and ice dives. Oh and they wear jacket BC's and split fins too......what am I doing with these people anyway? lol.

Sometimes I think we take this failure point stuff a little too far. I know there have been cases where things have happened and it is all about avoiding those if possible but all gear can fail so it is all a failure point in some sense. I guess the only way to complete avoid them is to not dive at all.

Regards

Thanks for all the reply's and I am one for fewer failure points for sure. Why take the chance. However, with that in mind. I dive with a few buddies. Two of them put between 100-150 dives a year in this cold and dark lake and one has been diving for well over 30 years, is a YMCA instructor. All three have pull dumps. When we discuss gear and why we each use what we use sometimes it is a little tough to say they are a failure point when they literally have thousands and thousands of dives on BC's with pull dumps, some of which are deep wreck and ice dives. Oh and they wear jacket BC's and split fins too......what am I doing with these people anyway? lol.

Sometimes I think we take this failure point stuff a little too far. I know there have been cases where things have happened and it is all about avoiding those if possible but all gear can fail so it is all a failure point in some sense. I guess the only way to complete avoid them is to not dive at all.

Regards

While it is a possible failure point, I like having a pull dump on my inflater hose, and on my first seaquest ('80-'02) never had an issue, bladder failed before dump/hose did.
I also have one on my new pro qd as well as right side shoulder and butt pull dumps.

I usually use the hose pull on initial decent and then the butt dump through the dive. I think that if you take care of your equipment properly the possibility of failure is minimized to an acceptable point, at least for my recreational diving.JMHO,YMMV

I never use the inflator to dump for fear of ripping the thing off. besides a shoulder dump works better for descent. I also use it for adjustment at depth. works for me. I just never saw the logic in raising the inflator up to vent air when you are horizontal other than hoping the bubble in your back would work its way up the hose. I believe this is why there is usually a shoulder and but dump. at least on my bc.

That's why you have a rear dump on the wing or bc. :D

Regards

It's not an issue 'till the failure happens to YOU. Then it's a big one... to you.
Personally, I want to manage as many risks as I can. This is just one more that I can eliminate by eliminating the shoulder dump.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

I don't think I've ever used mine , and I use the right shoulder dump rarely , use mostly the rear dump or lift the inflater hose .. I don't know how much of a failure point it is if you never pull on the hose

It's not an issue 'till the failure happens to YOU. Then it's a big one... to you.
Personally, I want to manage as many risks as I can. This is just one more that I can eliminate by eliminating the shoulder dump.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)
Thats why I don't have one but I have shoulder dump envy now, :rofl3:

I don't understand what you are talking about actually. When I SWIM down, descend, I vent air (why is there any air in the wing anyways, I empty mine, suck it flat before I enter the water) from the rear pull dump on my wings because I am swimming down, head first, feet up propelling me downward. When I am horizontal during the "cruise" portion of the dive I vent usually from the rear dump if I accidently hit the inflator to long or over adjust. I do that by rolling to the side and tucking my head down slightly. When I swim up, head first, I vent using the inflator hose and I generally do not need to free it from the D ring bungee to vent effectively, roll that shoulder high if need be. I also pre-dump some of the bubble through the rear dump before beginning my ascent.

A good day is when I never have to put any air, none, NONE, in the wing from beginning to end of the dive. That is a goal. I dive as if I had no BC. I swim down, I swim around and then I swim up, swim is the key.

These feet first decents like I see people doing now often result in them being blown off by current, swim down, swim to the wreck, reef or whatever, no feet first stuff, how can you see where you are going?

N

Nem, In a perfect world everyone would have to time to dive enough to perfect all of their skills and equipment. I work very hard at my skills on every dive but just do not dive enough to be the perfect diver I would like to be. There are tons and tons of things I would like to master but have to focus on just a few on each dive.

In the mean time while learning to dive my DS, getting use to BP/W and diving cold for the first time I will have to be less than perfect by using my BC for bouyancy and relying on some equipment to assit in what I am not good at yet, at least until I can work on those things. I know your not directing your post at me in particular, well maybe you are, lol. It's all good until we get to where we strive to be as a diver. A good day for me right now is being able to suit up with the new DS and not forgetting to install the equalizing tubes in my gloves, getting in the water with no leaks, dropping down with out to much incident and being able to hoover a little off the bottom with out being a rototiller. Maybe working on getting my bouyancy worked out between the suit and the BC. If I am real lucky that day I might find an old bottle.

Best Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom