Shoulder backup placement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting rid of drysuit pockets, and backups were the last item left in there. I downsized to shorter 2W lights and contemplating the shoulder position, as it seems easiest to deploy and still out of the way. Here are a few options. Other ideas?

Option 1: on a boltsnap. Pros: the boltsnap is handy, easy to stow back. Cons: it clutters the D-ring. I hate it. ( There's the variant with an end loop on the tri-glide, but I find that it digs into my biceps and may restrict mobility, which seems bad on principle. )

Option 2: on a loop. Pros: it doesn't clutter the D-ring. Cons: harder to stow it back in the same way, although tying it back to the D-ring should be pretty easy.

Option 3: (however you have it configured) Pros: ? Cons: ?

the contour has an H harness, run it like the backup lights on a one piece harness. D-ring going down. Out of the way, easy to deploy, and you're good to go. I have two on a helmet that are my video spread backup lights, but are on, and on low the whole dive for gauge reading and any hand work for caves. Spot pattern backups are mounted down like mentioned above.

the contour has an H harness, run it like the backup lights on a one piece harness. D-ring going down. Out of the way, easy to deploy, and you're good to go. I have two on a helmet that are my video spread backup lights, but are on, and on low the whole dive for gauge reading and any hand work for caves. Spot pattern backups are mounted down like mentioned above.

You mean all the way down below the bottom chest D-rings, right above the waist? That's a possibility, although right now that conflicts with my waist-mount canister (still haven't managed to move it back, although Corey is evaluating my prayers for a dual side-gland variant, there is hope).

UWLD and it's a nonissue with the stack caps, and you get variable heat control for your vest ;-)

and yes, standard DIR style but since you have the H harness, you have the lights below the primary bottles

UWLD and it's a nonissue with the stack caps, and you get variable heat control for your vest ;-)
and yes, standard DIR style but since you have the H harness, you have the lights below the primary bottles

Ok, there we go with option 3... is that what you had in mind?

yup. have you tried mounting the canister in the small of your back like Edd does? Allows you to use standard length cords. Unfortunately Light Monkey hasn't gotten into the 21st century and still uses toggle switches which is kind of annoying, but you can still reach them if you put the can back there

I considered that, but the heater cord isn't long enough to reach all around my torso. If I'm going to spring for another lid, I'm hoping that LM will release a dual-side-gland variant. Now that I think about it, though, maybe I should just get an extension cord. Definitely not a permanent fix, but would at least let me thoroughly evaluate all the possible placement variants before making the commitment. TecDiveGear has them at $100 per cord, but maybe there's something more affordable out there...

When you dive with gloves you will find that only the last option is practical. As you probably know, the Contour is an 'Edd-Style' Rig and the components are desigened for a reason. Meaning, the H harness is there for a reason. I noticed that you've posted a lot of questions, if I was you, I'd take a course to learn the basics, you can learn most of it on the internet and with a gopro, but it's gonna take a lot of time and you might not be able to really follow the reasoning for some parts of the config, for instance. Netos book could also answer a lot of your questions. If there is no good SM instructor around, buying the book is a no brainer.
Once you got the basics down, playing around with the config makes more sense, imho.

have you tried mounting the canister in the small of your back like Edd does?
There is no 'small of you back' on the Contour or any of the Hollis rigs! The BPs are too stiff and due to the dounut wing, the BP is even pushed out by the wing... which IMHO pretty much proves that Hollis and Halcyon didn't really think about the design much. The 2nd, and even bigger issue with that is, that, when inflated, there is tons of empty and unused space left in the middle of the dounut. They could have at least put the weight system under the BP instead of on top.

When you dive with gloves you will find that only the last option is practical.

Could you elaborate on that? It seems like the first option is just an inverted backmount placement, and deploying/stowing shouldn't be an issue. I thought about shoulder placement after seeing this photo below. The guy in the photo is smiling, he must be pretty comfortable :) Other folks on that thread seemed to have positive experiences. Is it just a matter of the D-ring getting crowded, or is there another reason why it doesn't work?

DSC_0579.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

I mount mine with bolt snap to bottom D-ring and then strapped down. Then I also have two on my helmet, one spot (off) and video light (on).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom