Should we feed the fish?

• Yes

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 66 77.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So should we feed the fish? Is Cheeze Whiz, hot dogs and vienna sausages a part of the food chain? Does feeding the fish make them aggressive?

i would say no

you can always tell places where the fish get fed. their behavior is not natural (i.e. they swarm around you)

i think we should try to alter animal's behaviour as little as possible

I vote 'NO' on feeding fish,,,,whether it be lunch scraps or scuba shop store bought fish food I have seen in some dive shops for sale....its just wrong.

Why aren't you allowed to feed the bears at at our national parks? Because they become aggressive and PO'd when someone doesn't give them what they want. Not saying the friendly fish in our local lakes would ever rip a BC open to get at a can of vienne sausages, but....

This question brings to mind one of my first posts on SB. Why is it OK to have shark feeds at resorts (although none in the USA) and not OK to feed the bears?

i'm not too crazy about feeding sharks either

let's see... get them to associate humans with food... hmm.....

what's wrong with this pic?

Under no circumstances wildly living fishes should not be fed by humans. There are two major reasons.
When using human food - it's not their natural food chain and very often it simply kills them
Even wit their natural food - it changes their habits, makes them depending on humans, so they loose their natural ability to hount ergo they die.

These are the basic things every diver/snorkel should know

http://www.reefrelief.org/coralreef/study/fishfeeding.html
Mania

I agree, feeding the fish only makes them more aggresive. I have to wear a Lycra hood when I am at twin lakes so my ears don't get nipped by the fish.

Technically they are not a fish and don't live at CSSP but....What about poor Shamu and Flipper ?

I'll tell you what.... I'll go along with what ever the Poll says.

I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming number of votes will be for not feeding the fish so I'll do as I've always done and "continue" to not feed the fish at CSSP.

I will instead start feeding the Turtles
:crafty:

The question now is, Do you believe me ?

There's a sign at Vortex that reads "Please feed the fish. If you don't, they'll eat each other."
Rick

Back
Top Bottom