Should there be a SOLO divers Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about sidemounting your cylinders? You get large capacity independent singles and the valves/1st stages are within easy reach. You are also more streamlined. Sure beats a back mounted single and slung/mounted pony, especially in the balance/trim department.
Take care,
George

I attach a 19CF pony to an AL80 when doing deep dives, or if I am diving solo. I don't really notice it, and it does not result in feeling off balance. I know a lot of divers who sling their pony's, and they don't seem to have much issue.

A pony is only a few lbs negative (full) in the water, so no surprise that it really has little impact.

You shouldn't dive solo.

<<< runs for cover.....:mooner:

Hunter

With a pony strapped to the side of a single tank, a slight roll toward the pony would cause a greater deviation in weight distribution with respect to your roll axis, creating a destabilizing feedback loop. On the other hand, with a slung pony the same slight roll toward the pony would still move the pony's weight further from your roll axis, but it would try to pull you back toward level, creating a *stabilizing* feedback loop. (If this is hard to see, I can diagram it or something -- just ask.)

Either way, you may have to slightly redistribute weight to balance any torque from the weight of the pony, but that is static balancing not dynamic stability. With a back-mounted pony, geometry dictates that the weight above the roll axis decreases roll stability. With a slung pony, the weight of the pony increases roll stability. In fact, with your weight properly balanced, the more weight you sling, the more stable you are.

(It's just a wetter version of balancing a yardstick. Balancing it upright on your palm is precarious; dangling it like a pendulum from your finger is stable.)

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet...

Try putting some helium in it, 30/30 would probably work fine for most situations and it will make the bottle float better.

What tank are you currently using? size and manufacturer and material? If it is a catalina that could be your problem, I have heard people complain about them being a PITA.

When I dive solo I either dive sidemount or or backmount with a sidemounted AL80.

I dive minimalist (no BC or wing, no weights) so the balance thing becomes quite a noticable issue. I like to sling my 19 horizontally across the chest to keep everything balanced. Works fine.

As a SOLO diver for the last 15 years I got very tired of carrying a pony bottle very soon as it always seems out of balance strapped to the side of my tank.

I suspect your problem is not balance but rather stability. With the pony mounted to the primary cylinder you have raised your center of gravity. Even if it's near neutral it's still a bunch of extra mass, and asymmetric to boot. even if you offset weights for balance you will still be "top heavy"

As you can see many divers, self included prefer to sling which actually drops the center of gravity and dives nicely.

Pete

You shouldn't dive solo.

<<< runs for cover.....:mooner:

Hunter

Is there an anti-thanks button? =p

OP has an interesting idea - balloon within a balloon sort of thing. But try a sling mount first =p

just moved into a faber 149. found this to be bit more weight added. the collar from oms is not a bad rig i my self have 19 cuft. in the front.I seem to balanced very well. and yes "you should dive solo" I would not share my air any way's. whoops sorry! spent to many years as a commercial diver. good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom