Should there be a SOLO divers Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As a SOLO diver for the last 15 years I got very tired of carrying a pony bottle very soon as it always seems out of balance strapped to the side of my tank.

I have often thought that a tank within a tank with a serarate J valve would be very handy. I assume the tank would have to be a steel one for strength and size.

Also it might be useful for non SOLO divers as a safety backup air supply.

I have maintained for years that the only comfortable backup air came from my horsecollar all those years ago. We used to practice breathing out of the horsecollar as an emergency process.

Maybe we as a group should be asking some questions of manufacturers?

Ardy, I think what you're suggesting is a neat idea, but it wouldn't be possible to manufacture such a tank cost effectively. Since tanks are drawn, I don't even think it would be possible.

I agree that doubles are the way to go. I have three sets... LP80s, LP95s and HP130s. I would say I use the 80s about 90% of the time. They are nicely balanced, a reasonable weight (I dive from a 20' RIB, so need to drag then in by hand...) and have lots of gas for most dives.

I sling my pony (AL30) and don't find it to be a balance issue.

m1-tank-10.jpg

This is for when people say, "You shouldn't dive solo!"

I attach my pony diagonally across my chest (yes it is a smaller one...13 cuft) and have no balance issues.

I have slung AL 30's and AL 40's and never notice them in the water. I have also slung AL 80's and other than the bulk have never noticed it - not even a trim issue.

Of course if you dive either independent doubles or isolator manifolded doubles you get the advantage of redundant tanks and regs with a symetical configuration so again there is no trim issue.

With a pony strapped to the side of a single tank, a slight roll toward the pony would cause a greater deviation in weight distribution with respect to your roll axis, creating a destabilizing feedback loop. On the other hand, with a slung pony the same slight roll toward the pony would still move the pony's weight further from your roll axis, but it would try to pull you back toward level, creating a *stabilizing* feedback loop. (If this is hard to see, I can diagram it or something -- just ask.)

Either way, you may have to slightly redistribute weight to balance any torque from the weight of the pony, but that is static balancing not dynamic stability. With a back-mounted pony, geometry dictates that the weight above the roll axis decreases roll stability. With a slung pony, the weight of the pony increases roll stability. In fact, with your weight properly balanced, the more weight you sling, the more stable you are.

(It's just a wetter version of balancing a yardstick. Balancing it upright on your palm is precarious; dangling it like a pendulum from your finger is stable.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom