Should I purchase Dive shops fins/goggles/snorkel package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Jr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have found a place here in Iowa to certify with. I havenÃÕ spoken directly to the shop, but they have there rates and sign up information on their website. And as it seems that with several dive shops, as this one is the same, you have all gear and equipment included in the cost of your certification with the exception of fins, goggles, snorkel. These items are required to be purchased. The dive shop I am looking to sign up with offers a package deal with fins/snorkel, and goggles for $50. I am going to assume these would probably be cheaper versions of what one could buy so..

Should I go with what the have to offer for now? Or should I invest a little and get my own fins, goggles, and snorkel? I understand this probably would be a preference decision, however, I thought it would be nice to hear what some of you suggest before I do anything as IÃÎ certain many of you have been there before.

Thanks,

jR.

I would look into what you get for $50.00.
I think I have about $170.00 in fins snorkle and mask.
If its cheap stuff, yo will end up spending more money in the long run.
Check out some of the online scuba shops to get a base line of price.

Jim Breslin

$50 is a very reasonable price even for entry level gear. Unless you know of some particular higher quality gear that you want, that is not a bad buy to get started.

My first set of fins were more than that! I was an avid snorkeler and was aware of the differences in fins for different sports. Because of this I already knew I wanted good fins for SCUBA and that they would get well used. I still use them and have just purchased a different set recently. So now with my snorkeling set I have 3 sets. My newest set I paid more than twice the price and got a very good deal on what I wanted.
So it may be very reasonable but if you already have gear or want something better I'd give them a call and if they aren't willing to work something out with you I wouldn't want to work with them. For $50 I don't think you'll be getting anything of quality that you'd continue to use if you should decide that SCUBA is a sport that you want to continue with.
For that matter my old snorkel set was probably more expensive and I still have it as a spare set.

Sounds like they are selling real low end stuff for a mask/fins/snorkel @$50..
most masks sell at $50 and up to $100. or more -average in the $60-$75.range.
Snorkel can be $25.-$49.
Fins at the low end are usually $90..up to $200+
also would need boots to keep fins comfortable and feet warm and unbruised $35-$100.
Most people usually spend from $175. to $350. for basic mask/boots/fin/snkl setup.

I wouldn't go that route. I wouldn't think that equipment would be very good. I'm not saying you should buy the most expensive masks or fins, but if you buy cheap crap, you will regret it. I would buy the best mask that I could find. That's not necessarily the most expensive, but the one that fits your face and seals probably. I would try on a few of their better masks and fins and find what works for you. Then, I would check online to see if the LDS is raping you on the price. Some of the these $100 mask are going for $75 or less online.

First and foremost, get stuff that fits, especially the mask. Even if you have to spend a little more, a well-fitting mask is worth it. Fins that fit the booties you buy are important, too. Any old snorkel will do, so don't spend too much money on it.

$50 is a real deal. Take it.

Even if I went online to purchase fins, or booties, or a snorkel, I absolutely would get my mask from a local dive shop. Nothing makes a dive more miserable than a mask that doesn't fit, or leaks, or whatever.

All the best, James

It is 'traditional' to buy your personal equipment from the shop where you receive your training. I don't necessarily support that idea but read on...

Most shops will have 3 or 4 levels of personal gear packages. You will see the $50 package and the $200 package and perhaps something in between. The higher priced gear will usually be better.

It will ALWAYS be the case that you can buy the identical product from Leisure Pro for a lot less money. Take the ScubaPro Frameless Mask that sells at your shop for about $130 or at LP for $50. Leaving $80 on the table is insane.

Since it is expected that you will buy 'something' from the shop, you might consider the $50 you spend on less than stellar equipment just a cost of entry. You buy something, the shop doesn't feel cheated and you didn't leave much on the table. Then, when you know what you like, and you can discuss these upgrades with the shop during or after your class, buy it from Leisure Pro. In any event, the cheap gear can always serve as a backup. Or hand it down... The downside is that you wind up taking your training with less than stellar equipment. But, the rental gear you get from the LDS won't be perfect either.

The underlying problem is that the shop gear is horribly overpriced and the shops generally won't discount their prices. Then they get outraged when you buy from Leisure Pro.

Another strategy: tell the shop your <fill in the blank> gave you the equipment as a <fill in the blank> present and you don't need to buy personal gear. Then get everything from Leisure Pro.

Yet another strategy: figure out which shop you want to have a long time relationship with. Then DON'T take your training there. Sign up with the 2d choice shop, buy or don't buy personal gear from them and get certified. Now, before you start your relationship with your preferred shop, buy all your gear online. When you show up at the 1st choice shop, you are already certified and you already have your gear. You will still have the 'no warranty' issue to deal with when it is time to have your regulator serviced so send it back to Leisure Pro or to one of the online repair companies. You WILL get a bunch of negative feedback if you bring it to your local shop having bought it from Leisure Pro.

This all gets terribly convoluted...

There are countless threads on this LP vs LDS controversy. I would try to work the system such that I received the least amount of hassle. Sometimes I will overpay, sometimes I won't. But I ALWAYS KNOW that I am overpaying at my LDS.

All that said, I bought top-of-the-line equipment for my son-in-law and grandson when they got certified. Most of it came from the LDS but some of it was stuff they didn't stock and I bought it online. Yes, I overpayed. I know it and the LDS knows it.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom