Should I log swimming pool dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You log anything you want (or you don't have log at all). Like most, I don't log pool dives.

I do 3 or 4 pool dives a month just to keep my skills sharp. I let my computer log them and copy them into the electronic log but I don't add them to my official dive log unless I had an instructor or something special I want recorded for future use. Frankly I find these pool sessions a great way to relax, enjoy and tune up. I also run through a skills review each time.

My philosophy is to do what is necessary to keep breathing compressed air while wet.

Hyrum

In aviation you only log simulator flights when they are part of a course. If I hop into a sim for practice I can't log it. Even as an instructor on the sim I can't log it as I am not on a course.
I have always applied the same to my diving. If I am being actively instructed as part of a course I will log pool dives, other than that I don't.

I don't necessarily view pool dives as a different species just because they were done in a concrete container called a "pool." Depth, time, and conditions/environment all get weighed together in my decision whether to record a dive. Is a dive in a Florida spring run that's no more than 12 feet deep to be called a pool dive and not recorded? Maybe, maybe not. What about a dive off a sheltered beach that averages 12 feet and maxes out at 20 feet? If I ever have a chance to dive in the over 33-meter deep NEMO 33 pool in Brussels, you can bet I'm going to log that!

I view the act of recording the parameters of a dive in my logbook separately from the act of adding up a total number of dives I have done. I do record the details of SOME pool dives, such as those in which I practiced a specific skill, tested out a new piece of gear, or otherwise wanted to record some bit of information that I thought might be useful to me in the future--which is a major purpose of logging dives. How much weight did I use with what gear configuration? Did I like the new piece of gear? Was the pool comfortable, and was the owner of the pool accommodating? Etc. HOWEVER, if someone asks me "how many total dives have you done" because they are attempting to gauge whether I have enough experience to do something they have the power to permit me to do, then I would exclude the pool dives from the count I give as an answer. Keeping a running total of dives so that someone else can gauge your experience level is another major purpose of logging dives. But there is no rule saying the running total MUST be linked one-to-one to dives recorded in the logbook. Counting dives for that purpose that you don't feel reflect "experience" would be pointless. For all the pool dives I have done to date, I have left the space in my logbook where you're supposed to fill in the running total blank and continued the count with the next non-pool dive. Ultimately, a diver keeps a logbook solely for the diver's own benefit. Even if the diver is using what's in the book as evidence of his experience so that someone can decide whether to permit the diver to do something, it's not to a diver's benefit to exaggerate.

The problem I have with logging pool dives is that it can be used to communicate information, and because it conflicts with normal practice, it can be deceptive. When you tell someone you have a certain number of dives, I am quite sure at least 99% of all people will assume you are not including pool sessions in that total.

Nobody has ever asked me how many dives I've logged. I've been asked all kinds of other questions about my dive history:
1) When was your most recent dive?
2) Have you dived in the ocean before?
3) Have you made cold water dives before?
4) Tell me a little about your dive history?

Which makes since, because "number of logged dives" IMO doesn't mean much. You make a habit of vacationing in Grand Cayman every year and diving when you do, 10 years later you have maybe 100 dives and still don't know how to put a reg and BC on a tank, or find your way back to the boat, because the DM always did it for you.

If you are including pool dives to increase your count for qualifying or courses or for increasing your credibility in discussion or for getting placed in the more advanced dive group at a resort, then your total is deceptive, because it communicates a false impression. The technical courses I teach require a minimum number of logged dives for entry, and I would not accept pool dives in that count. I probably would not ask about it, though, because I would assume you were not including pool dives, and I would be surprised to hear you did.

If I were having a serious conversation with a tech instructor about my diving background I would probably just share my log sheet and let them decide for themselves. Things tend to balance out if you're not trying to game the system deliberately. I have one pool dive when I was first working on pony and stage skills, a few shorter dives to retrieve easily found lost objects, and some longer dives where I took a twinset and swam all the way around the lake.

In aviation you only log simulator flights when they are part of a course. If I hop into a sim for practice I can't log it. Even as an instructor on the sim I can't log it as I am not on a course.
I have always applied the same to my diving. If I am being actively instructed as part of a course I will log pool dives, other than that I don't.

I don't see any connection. In aviation, the (typical) simulator environment is entirely artificial. Dives in a pool are real dives and if approached with apathy or ignorance can be just as deadly as anything else.

I am the worst diver in the world at logging my dives. I started off well, then I switched computers and I like the Shearwater log, so I quit writing them down. For a while I was great at going through and updating my logs of every dive, logging the site, whether I was diving OC or CC and what equipment I was using. I'm not sure why I quit doing it, but I just don't do it anymore. I have enough dives to get into any course I want to take and now just keep track of my rebreather hours on each unit.

That being said, if you're going to keep an accurate log, log whatever you feel will help you best. Your dive log is for you, not for Scubaboard.

according to Padi standards a open water dive is a dive consisting of at least 20 mins. and to a depth of 20 ft. min.

Damn. I have been logging my river dives that only do 15 ft max and sometimes there was barely enough depth to keep my tank submerged. Maybe I should delete those dives???

Nah. Log whatever you would like.

I have logged 2 pool dives. They were both to 34.5 metres, so deeper than an average pool dip.

I have logged 2 pool dives. They were both to 34.5 metres, so deeper than an average pool dip.

NEMO!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom