Question Should I have tools to adjust IP in save a dive kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to carry enough tools and parts to rebuild my reg set, plus I carried a full spare regulator. Over the years, I learned that I was only fixing other people's gear as mine was maintained and tested. SO I have gradually cut down on what I carry. Now I only carry a spare 1st and 2nd stage plus a spare spg, and a small tool bag w/ spare orings. I have never had this be insuffcient for my needs.

Tools or parts?

What tools are typically required to make an IP adjustment for other common regs? Are parts involved?

Depends on the first stage. A non-sealed diaphragm first probably only needs a hex key or perhaps a screwdriver flat. If it is environmentally sealed then you need tools to pull the cap off and if it is silica filled then the oil to restore it.

Piston first stages like the Scubapro Mark V, X and so on including the Mark 20 use shims under the piston/spring or under the HP seat or different thickness HP seats. To access the spring the cap needs to be removed which also means the piston is going to come out with it. So then you need the bullet to reinstall the piston and the HP cap/seat holder needs to be pulled to withdraw the bullet. The Mark 25 and converted to Mark 25 specification Mark 20s the IP can be adjusted externally.

So then, if you intend to be able to adjust and service your regulator, say you are going on a multi-week trip to some place far away, then you need the tools and parts for your regulator. And still, carrying a spare set is wise. It is also wise not to have multipe brands and incompatible models in your collection or between yourself and SO so that you can accumulate more easily the service kits and tools needed to keep them running.

For something on the order of like 30 years my mainstay regulators were all USD/AL Conshelf first stages and 1085-XX second stages. Now, due to the influence of a friend and Scubapro envy I came upon a fork in the road and now all but one Conshelf is gone replaced with a fleet of ScubaPro Mark V/X/25 firs stages equipped with the best second stage in the world, the G250 :wink:. Ha!

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom