Question Should I have tools to adjust IP in save a dive kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many regulator problems occur on recently serviced regs. Put a couple of hours on your regs before you travel thousands of miles and need to rely on them.
I'd certainly echo that, having seen far too many instances of "freshly serviced at the LDS," regulators going kaput, over the years.

Even though I have been servicing my own regulators for years, without difficulty, they all get to spend some quality time, under pressure, after an overhaul or seat replacement -- typically, overnight, given the opportunity, as well as submersion; something that you'll seldom if ever see at a local dive shop, nowadays.

Had someone gone through that "supreme" effort, years ago (which took less than five minutes), the tech who had last serviced my regulators, would have quickly realized that he had damaged the diaphragm, which fizzed like Alka-Seltzer, as soon as it hit water.

Never again . . .

Only when they tell me they haven't serviced their regulators for a while. Safety precaution. I would then refuse to dive with them until the problem is rectified.
Lol, we’re never diving together. No one is touching my gear. And if you need my gas in the type of diving I do, you’ve REALLY screwed up.

Now, I believe all divers should have an IP gauge because it is like a heart rate monitor for your regulator system, but since the title is on adjusting the IP in a save a dive kit, I personally just carry a spare first stage and if it goes sideways then I swap the stage out. Basically I carry a single tank regulator set and a stage bottle rig which gets me a spare 1st/2nd/hose and that is usually enough to get you on the dive and deal with it at the hotel.
Pretty much that.

I have an IP gauge in my SAD kit, but likely not ever gonna use it. (my pre-trip eq checklist includes checking IP on all regs before packing. If one is out of spec, another 1st gets to take the trip in its place.)

For the field, I'll take main single tank rig (MK17/G260) and two pony bottle rigs - one on the bottle and then the spare set (MK17/XL4). If something goes TU, swap out and get on with the rest of the week. Gear fails get sorted when I get home, not deck top or hotel room.

OMMOHY

I think of an IP gauge as a diagnotic tool. Unless you also have the parts and tools to repair I am not sure an IP gauge is all that useful.

When I overhaul a regulator I set the IP and then record that IP and also write it on the first stage with a Sharpie pen (yes it rubs off). That way when I pull the reg out of storage I can check the IP, see that it is stable and in the range of what it was when put away and that there is a solid (or acceptable) lock up.

Tools or parts?

My Sherwood's adjust the IP by adding or removing a shim. Removing is fine, no extra parts needed, but adding means I would need to carry a shim (or maybe locally source a suitable washer?).

Good news is that no special tools are required.

What tools are typically required to make an IP adjustment for other common regs? Are parts involved?

What tools are typically required to make an IP adjustment for other common regs? Are parts involved?
IP adjustments vary a bit from one manufacturer to the next; but the simplest, such as Poseidon, only require the use of a common Allen key — no shims, esoteric tools or disassembly required . . .

Tools or parts?

My Sherwood's adjust the IP by adding or removing a shim. Removing is fine, no extra parts needed, but adding means I would need to carry a shim (or maybe locally source a suitable washer?).

Good news is that no special tools are required.

As Bigbella said the diaphragm type Regs only need an Allen to adjust IP, but if it’s a sealed diaphragm you may need a tool to open the chamber to access the adjuster. Scuba pro MK 25 and 21 both have external IP adjustments,

better to have a spare reg since rarely is on site adjustments going to help since IP issues indicate deeper issues.

I checked the IP regularly especially after a long trip.
Most operators would have a IP gauge for their own use so I never bother to bring mine along.
It is always a good idea to check it before the 1st dive.

Every keen diver should possess one, it is dirt cheap.
This gauge is not very reliable. I wouldn't use it to set the IP. Reliable gauge come with precision class, at least in EU. This gauge can be used to determine an IP-creep.

Best wishes Jens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom