Should I have a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gatorsactions

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm doing the open water PADI scuba course right now and am wondering if I need to invest in a wetsuit. I live in SW FL so I know I don't need a super warm one, but should I have/wear one just for protection? Without one I'd prolly just wear a rash guard and swim shorts.

I was thinking I might need to consider a full wetsuit in maybe 2mm or 3mm just for protection. (looked at an oNeill Sector 3mm full) Would I be too hot in something like that? Or do I even need it? I thought about a shorty but that doesn't really give me anything more than my swim shorts and rash guard...

If it matters, our open water checkout dives will be in the keys in about one month.

Thanks!

Rash guard and shorts will be fine for your class.....the water will be in the mid 80's here in S Florida for another month.
If you intend to dive after Thanksgiving and through to end of May water temps will be at least 10 degrees cooler (low to mid 70's) you'll need the full 3mm wetsuit. Maybe even a hooded vest as well for Jan through March, depending on how cold tolerent you are.

The ocean is an unforgiving place. Bare skin is susceptible to jellyfish stings, cuts from coral, scrapes on board boats, abrasion from equipment, sunburn, and temperatures. I've been diving Florida waters for 20 years; I won't go into any of them (fresh or salt) without at least a 3mm suit. If you don't want to wear a neoprene hood get a Lycra hood to keep the jelly fish off your neck and exposed face tissues.

If you swim around wrecks with sharp edges, or just over barnacles, and errant kick can result in a cut leg and/or fire coral stings.

A 3mm wet suit shouldn't make you feel overly warm. Water saps the body heat quickly. You can find a full 3mm suit in a lot of Florida's larger dive store for $99.00. Of course you get what you pay for, more $$ for a better suit.

Well, it depends on how much you feel the cold. I have a 3 mm wet suit which I very rarely use. For most situations, I use a diving skin. It is like a wet suit only it is made of thin material (lycra and what not). Before I started scuba diving, I had done a considerable amount of swimming in marine situations and I know that a little protection goes a long way.

I second you invest in a full 3mm. What metaldector said is the complete truth. I was in a shorty last week in West Palm and got owned by moon jellies. It really takes away from the dive. The 3 will allow you to dive year round in one suit in Florida. I'm completely comfortable in the 72 degree springs with it, and not too hot in 86 degree water. Alot of people who's cool faster use 5mm in the winter.

IF your hot you can always let some water in. IF your cold in the winter with it, add a hood, or a vest like fishpie said.

+1 on the 3mm. I dive aquarium tanks, it doesn't get much more controlled than that. And we still dive/require 3mm for protection from the animals/organisms. 3mm will protect you from nearly every accidental encounter (sharks excluded).

"metaldector, so if you wear a 3mm wetsuit you aren't susceptible to stings and so on?"

That is the point. If you are covered the stinging jellies, fire coral, etc. can not sting you. It reduces your stress level knowing that the only place you could get in contact with stinging sea life is your exposed bare skin (cheeks, hands, and ankles if you don't wear booties).

I don't wear a wet suit from mid May until mid November (approximately, it's not always exact), just a swim suit. The rest of the year, I wear a wet suit. I wear a 3/2 mil (3 mm on the body and 2 mm on the arms and legs) diving SE Florida and the Keys and a 7 mil in the Gulf. The Gulf gets COLD in the winter. If you plan to dive locally, you'll need a warm suit. If you're only going to dive the other coast, a 3/2 will probably be OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom