Should I have a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a new Genesis Resource Pro Computer and was wondering if I should also wear a wrist computer. Thx

just make sure you r backup uses the same algorithm as your primary, or be prepared to "trust" the most conservative one.

I vote no. Computers are pretty reliable, as long as you renew battery before it dies.

If you have a separate timing device (watch) and tables, that is your backup. My Perdix is my primary, and my Citizen Promaster (with max depth) and US Navy tables in my pocket. Been mixed gas stage decompression cave diving with this configuration. Just be sure you know how to use tables on the fly.

Yes

I vote no. Computers are pretty reliable, as long as you renew battery before it dies.
I thought that until it happened to me. I was diving nitrox on a computer with the same algorithm as my wife's. Mine started treating the dives like they were air dives, sort of. It tracked my PPO2 fine but my NDLs look suspiciously like the N2 percentage was still 79%. I borrowed a computer on my dives the next day to compare one with the other. Our LDS owner was with us because it was a shop trip and she always has spares.

The loaned computer performed as expected on dive one. While switching tanks I heard a small pop when I cracked the tank valve open and noted that my tank pressure no longer read on the computer. About then I was glad to have a backup with me. I told our LDS owner if she loaned me that spare for the week I'd buy a new one from her when we got home. Since that time my wife and I both have a backup with us on every dive.

If you have a separate timing device (watch) and tables, that is your backup. My Perdix is my primary, and my Citizen Promaster (with max depth) and US Navy tables in my pocket. Been mixed gas stage decompression cave diving with this configuration. Just be sure you know how to use tables on the fly.

A "Dive Watch" costs as much as a dive computer or even more. Once you are on a dive computer and doing multi-level diving, you can't switch on "the fly" to dive tables, you need to be out of the water for 24 hours to use a new computer or switch to dive tables. Using dive tables as an on the fly "back up" for dive computers is a myth!!

Last edited:
I have a new Genesis Resource Pro Computer and was wondering if I should also wear a wrist computer. Thx
You don't need a 2nd computer, but you may want one. Some of it depends on how much you don't want a computer failure to interfere with a dive or a series of dives. This may be much more important on a week of liveaboard than a local day. You will not find a computer much less expensive than the Genesis Resource Pro. You could get another in a wrist mount for $200. It would be advantageous that the computers are running the same, relatively liberal, deco algorithm, DSAT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom