Should I have a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most divers that I came across dived with one.
However, I had experienced computer failure twice therefore have been diving with two for quite a while. BTW, I had also seen other divers had the same problem under water once or twice before.

I'm with @scubadada, local diving I see no real need and have never had more than one at a time, but if someone gave me a ticket to the Galapagos I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Bob

Do you do multiple deep dives?

If your profile is correct and you have between 0 - 24 dives then I'd go with no, you don't need a spare computer.

Sure, it's nice to have a spare one at certain times, but with little experience, you should be diving well within your no-stop limits, so then diving on someone else's computer will suffice if yours fails.

It's all personal preference, always dive with a buddy, and especially if you're approaching your limits, compare with their computer, and if your settings are the same and you're using the same algorithm, they should be pretty similar :) if it's wildly wrong, compare with someone else if you're in a group or cancel the dive.

Also, looking up your expected bottom time before the dive can help..

What computer? I was taught the dive tables in my ow certification. Well that was 40 years ago but I guess I made it fine. Sure, get an extra computer....oh and maybe an extra regulator , spare dive buddy, another bc, mask, fins, maybe even another dive boat just in case. Don't sweat the small stuff, yep crap happens but not often. Keep your gear in top shape and do not worry. 1000 plus dives and never needed a back up computer. Stay calm,exhale on accent and all will be good.

I do recreational with a Suunto Zoop Novo and a Shearwater Perdix set to different conservertism settings. So yes, two computers.

For technical, the Suunto is set to guage mode and I use this and the dive plan on my slate (including contingencies for exceeding depth and time as well as lost deco gas) as the “primary”. The Perdix is my fallback should the dive deviate from plan (including contingencies). I wii be getting the Teric to complement the Perdix, but even with Two computers, dive plan plus depth guage and bottom timer on the computers will remain my primary guide. Plan the dive and dive the plan. So yes, two computers, but really dive plan, bottom timer and depth guage; plus a computer for unexpected deviations from plan. But I’m new to tech diving and more experienced tech divers may have a different view.

What computer? I was taught the dive tables in my ow certification. Well that was 40 years ago but I guess I made it fine. Sure, get an extra computer....oh and maybe an extra regulator , spare dive buddy, another bc, mask, fins, maybe even another dive boat just in case. Don't sweat the small stuff, yep crap happens but not often. Keep your gear in top shape and do not worry. 1000 plus dives and never needed a back up computer. Stay calm,exhale on accent and all will be good.

Many dive ops/boats REQUIRE the use of a dive computer.

I vote no. Computers are pretty reliable, as long as you renew battery before it dies.
Read page 4:

https://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Teric_Operating_Instructions_docrevB.pdf

While the warnings are legal in nature due to potential liability, they are still true. Even the best computers will fail at some point. If that happens a few days into a dive trip, it can mean you end up sitting out some dives - so why not avoid that with a backup?

While certainly not mandatory, I personally feel it ‘s a good idea to dive with a backup computer - but each diver has to decide their own risk tolerance based on how/where they are diving!

Yeah, I learned on tables in 1975 too. I dove on them for quite a while and they're great for a square profile dive. We also dove over weighted, didn't use octos, the bcd hadn't been in use yet, and if one guy had a depth gauge you were good to go. Oh and don't forget those J valve tanks that gave you a 300 psi "reserve". Things really were quaint back then, and probably not quite as safe. I'd nearly forgot the good old days until I saw the scuba scene in Jaws late at night a few weeks ago. It was definitely a blast from the past.

I dive mainly with my wife. We have an Oceanic BUD and high pressure gauge. I also wear the citizen dive watch when we dive. If one of us looses our main computer we have the BUD and pressure gauge. If the BUD dies I have my watch and dive tables. But I also agree, dive computers are pretty robust these days.

Unless you are going on a once in a lifetime trip, not necessary IMO. Your buddy has your backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom