Should I get a package deal or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see much I don't like about this one if you want to buy a package from one source: Aqua Lung Women's Package - Packages & Combos - Scuba Gear

The reg is a Titan, serviceable anywhere in the last 3 decades, good to 50o. It's one of the classic Aqualung designs of all time. I'll bet there's 30-40 year old Titans still in use - they were around in the 80's when I started diving.

Pearl is a good quality woman's hybrid design - it functions as a back-inflate but also provides stabler vertical lift at the surface with a wraparound air cell.

It's all good mid-range gear - not their best but not their lowest end either. Zoop's are easy to use, downloadable, just not air-integrated. But you have to buy the $85 cable.

I've been told the ABS breathes harder so maybe see if you can upgrade it.

The Apeks Egress is a similar style for $35 more so maybe they'd be willing to swap it for the difference. Apeks is distributed by Aqualung so their dealers can work on either.

$1019 with goals to go ice diving

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?&page=rig_configurator
BP/W $460

Cave Adventurers - HOG Single Tank Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Hog D1/Classic set
$455

Gives not much for a computer.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/dg03
If you can stretch a bit, it's a much better computer than the zoop.

Not one stop shop, but it's much better gear.... Alternatively you can go with another reg set if you are concerned about international service, or since you'll be taking technical classes, take the money you saved, take the class to service the Hog's yourself, and save a LOT of money over the course of the regs life.

On paper, the RG3ICE 1st stage looks good from DGX at $159.

DIN, balanced diaphragm, swivel turret, 5th LP port on the end.

What makes it an inferior choice to an XT or Hog D1?

Now that I've read this discussion and seen how much nicer it would be to have an LP port on the end, I'm really thinking about getting 2 new 1st stages to use for doubles instead of using my Hollis DC3s.

And if I WERE to go with an RG3ICE, what about the RG3 second? How does that compare to the Hog Classic?

And NOW I see that DGX has a complete RG3 1st+2nd package for $199. Suddenly, the Hollis DC3+212 package for the same price is no longer my 1st thought for a reg recommendation....

design just isn't as good, the D1/Classics are worth the extra money. Call Cave Adventurers and ask them for their opinion

Thanks. I'll scratch the RG3 setup off my list. (and who says I can't take y'all's advice?! :wink: )

I actually just emailed CA for a package price quote on D3+Zenith.

DRiS has the D1+Classic in a doubles set package that is actually just about the same as the DGX price for the RG3ICE doubles package. But, if I can upgrade to the D3 and get the turret for not too much more, I think I would do that. I emailed DRiS for a package price on the D3/Zenith, too.

Now that I think I really understand the port utilization and configuration issues and hose routing for doubles, I think I'll just get a complete doubles package and reassemble all my Hollis regs into 2 setups for singles and then sell one of those. When I bought my Hollis regs, I had NO intention of moving to doubles any time ever, really....

that Hollis might lend itself to a good deco reg too. You will need one for tech. I have the RG3ICE, and its okay for that, just not "great"....

The HOG D1 Cold seems to meet many folks expectations and has a bottom port too. I have two of them, but my wife and daughter confiscated them for their singles rigs so I have no personal experience. My local buddy and another up on the St. Lawrence dive them too, and neither has had any issues. I likely would consider them.

FWIW - Some report the D3 to be a "bit tall"...

D1 is a turret. It just doesn't spin 360* because it hits the DIN screw. Keep the Hollis for stage/deco bottles, they're better for that. The turrets are not the best idea for stages if you shut the pressure off under water.

if you need to pinch pennies, swap in the classic second. Its as good as the zenith, just not as "glamorous"... (Yes, I have both, as I have a Zenith as an octo on a singles rig, and as an octo on my Kraken DH, and 4 classic seconds/2 D1-Colds).

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 03:43 PM ----------

D1 is a turret. It just doesn't spin 360* because it hits the DIN screw. Keep the Hollis for stage/deco bottles, they're better for that. The turrets are not the best idea for stages if you shut the pressure off under water.

Maybe i wasn't clear. I meant the D1 for his doubles kit.....

I already got a Hollis H-O2 reg setup for my deco bottle. I checked and the Hollis DC regs do not have O2 Clean kits available (according to Hollis). And it will be a long time before I need to worry about carrying travel gas or more than one deco bottle!

I will keep one DC3-212 setup, for sure, to use with singles (e.g. travel). But, if I buy a complete doubles package, I think it would only make sense for me to sell my other DC3-212 setup as a complete singles reg set, rather than keeping it. If I could afford it, I would keep it for "just in case" or as a loaner, but...

Am I correct in understanding that all 3 of these 2nd stages have a metal barrel: Hog Classic, Hog Zenith, and DR XT2? My local shop is a DR dealer, so I will give them a shot at selling me what I need before I buy elsewhere. I will (and have) pay more to buy from them. Just not a LOT more. So far, they've mostly kept my business.

From what y'all are telling me, it sounds like there is really no advantage at all to the D3 or the Zenith over the D1 and Classic. Well, except that the D3/Zenith looks cooler. LOL

Thanks for all the help. Just for the record, based on y'all's input, I now have a completely different plan for doubles regs than I did just a day or two ago. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom