Should I get a 3mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy it.

jjdub:
I agree with Charlie99 and found the dives where we were only drifting to be the coldest.
The next step is a 3mm beanie. You can just strap it on top your head either before or after the wetsuit, before or after the mask. Since I've got a huge bald spot, it makes a lot of difference for me, at negligible effect on buoyancy. Some days I'll even push sartorial limits a bit and wear it topside on the boat to avoid sunburning the top of my head. :)

It's hard to say if you will be cold or not. During my OW dive in Monterey, people who were "healthier" than me (skinny bean pole) were cold in the water while I was not. It's hard to say.

With that said - if it was me, I would purchase a 3/2mm wetsuit as insurance. It would suck to arrive there and not appreciate your dives because you were cold. If you don't use it, you can always save it for a different occasion. BTW - you can pick up 3/2 for pretty cheap ($170) at Divetank.com . You might be able to find other 3/2 for even cheaper. And if that's still too much money, then consider getting a shorty.

danktex:
I am very fond of my 3/2 when I am swimming into Sea Lice or Jelly Fish.

What he said! I don't own a shorty anymore, too much open area sea lice can crawl up under:mooner: Unless the temp is above 85, you'll never be too hot in a 3/2

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like the consensus is to get a 3/2. The only problem with ordering a wetsuit online is the fit issue.

Order it early enough so that you can return it if it doesn't fit, and then order another one. Also - I consider "perfect" fit less of an issue for warm water. The Bare suit I got was pretty stretch, so it fit me well.

Charlie - great prices on those suits!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom