Should graphic photos be included in reports about dive accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that this is my opinion on the graphic photos being posted specifically on scubaboard and under the TOS that is currently effect.
This forum has a stated PG rating requirement, meaning the content should be suitable for pre-teens.

Dead people with froth and blood all over their face is NOT something pre-teens need to find on a scuba forum.
Granted they can find it elsewhere on the internet, but we dont really need to make it readilly available to them.
This is NOT an opinion based on me being grossed out by the pictures myself, as Ive seen far worse both in photos and in "real life", but I just dont think pre-teens (which once again, scubaboard is by its TOS supposed to be suitable for) will take what we as adults take from those photos.
Its not like smokers stop smoking from the absolutely obnoxious autopsy photos posted on cigarette packs in many countries in the world either..

Out of respect for the deceased and his/her family, I do not think the pictures should be shown. However, part of me says they should be shown in the OW class in conjunction with the short film, "A Deceptive Way to Die." If it saved a few lives a year, it would be worth it.

Out of respect for the deceased and his/her family, I do not think the pictures should be shown. However, part of me says they should be shown in the OW class in conjunction with the short film, "A Deceptive Way to Die." If it saved a few lives a year, it would be worth it.
That would be SERIOUSLY bad for buisness, not to mention the potential of making already edgy new divers not only excited and a bit nervous but also AFRAID of what theire about to do..

The world is not all flowers and smiles. Sometimes words have a difficult time conveying the reality of a subject to particular individuals. While an image may not be appetizing it does paint a vivid picture of reality.

I for one think Think it is appropriate in the accidents forum, as a clickable link, with a blatant warning.

We sugar-coat enough as it is, why do so with regards to serious situations.

With that said. I do not agree with posting gruesome images with the intent of getting a reaction.

With regard to the specific pictures of the divers in the incident this thread is split from, how would you feel if it was any of YOUR loved ones that where posted all over the internet like that?
I know I would not appreciate it at all. Infact, many probably wouldnt want to even see pictures of their loved ones in a state like that in the first place, much less plaster it all over the news and internet.

And if anyone think the newspapers in some countries print those images to "give an accurate report", they are in my opinion seriously gullible. They print them for the sales.

With regard to the specific pictures of the divers in the incident this thread is split from, how would you feel if it was any of YOUR loved ones that where posted all over the internet like that?
I know I would not appreciate it at all. Infact, many probably wouldnt want to even see pictures of their loved ones in a state like that in the first place, much less plaster it all over the news and internet.

And if anyone think the newspapers in some countries print those images to "give an accurate report", they are in my opinion seriously gullible. They print them for the sales.

The family would not like to read much of what is posted in such threads as it is.....that is why they are steered to the Passings thread. The A&I forum has specific ToS to follow. Would I like it if it was my family member or friend? No. But that does not change my opinion of whether those photos should be "allowed" in the A&I thread. You are adding emotion into an area that is supposed to be emotion free.....a purely intellectual part of the board. Of course the papers post those pictures for sales....but that does not reduce the positive impact that photographs could have in the A&I discussions. The two things have nothing to do with each other. A photo is indisputable proof of certain things (the "what" depends on the photo).

That would be SERIOUSLY bad for buisness, not to mention the potential of making already edgy new divers not only excited and a bit nervous but also AFRAID of what theire about to do..

A little fear is a far more effective teaching tool than saying " if you do _____, _____ could happen to you." It gives context to the class. I commonly use mishap stories and analysis as a teaching aid, and i think that more instructors should as well. Maybe it will scare the darwin award winners straight before they ever have a chance to get nomnated.

Photos of dead people is not undisputable proof for anything than them being dead. Theres a reason why autopsies are needed.
Come to think of it, photos of dead people is not even proof of them being dead without any more information.
From the three photos AND ONLY the photos, from the thread that did incite this one, can you say make a certain conclusion about any of these questions?
1) Did the diver drown?
2) Did the diver suffer barotrauma?
3) If 1 and 2, which occured first?
4) Was the gas in the tank the correct, assumed mix?
5) Was the gas in the tank uncontaminated?
You may have indications to some of them, but the answers to that might be pretty obvious from the start and the indications might not even be conclusive and even less so if you dont have qualifications within the correct fields (i.e. medicine).

As for "a bit of fear" being good - No, fear is not what you want to instill in new divers unless youre actually TRYING to push them towards panic.
Yes, they should know theres serious risks, but trying to scare people straight in an enviroment where keeping cool is the most effective tool you have is in my opinion not good.

The "deceptively easy way to die" video is imo a by far better way to stress the fact that there is serious hazards to new divers.

When it comes to "not mixing feelings into the A&I threads" - dont kid yourself. If we felt nothing discussing these incidents, we wouldnt be.

So seeing a dead diver on a single tank is not proof he was diving a single tank? Yes there are still more questions but that tells you something that would otherwise have been heresay. You can see from pictures the kind of equipment that the diver was diving. Again. that would be fact. You are unwilling to accept anything that goes against you opinion Tigerman so keep up the good fight :thumb:.

No, I just dont consider what the recovery team says to be "hearsay"..
That they dive single tanks can be easilly verified without posting the corpse in the papers and internet.
That they drowned was clear from the getgo, knowing the tanks where empty and they where in a cave.
Its not like we need the photos to find those things out unless you consider everyone to be lieing and if I do assume that I can assume the single tanks where planted there as well..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom