Should Bonaire Even Be Considered For Solo Travellers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would not be the first diver to arrive alone and in need of a buddy. I am the kind of person who likes to have his ducks in a row before he arrives, so unless I could arrange a buddy ahead of time, I wouldn't visit Bonaire. Assuming you are planning on shore diving, you have to get to the dive site, and that means a vehicle. So now you have to make sure you either have your own or someone is willing to give you a ride in theirs. One of the attractions of Bonaire to me is being able to split the cost of the vehicle with my dive buddies. So, it seems like there are some obstacles/inconveniences for the single diver. Nevertheless, judging from several previous threads about this, the lack of a buddy has not stopped others. Suggestions from previous threads that I recall include:

- joining a group trip (and thus no longer being a single diver)
- asking here on SB to see if anyone who will be there on the same dates wants to commit to diving with you
- asking around at the dive shop when you check in
- hanging out at a dive site (preferably one of the more trafficked ones) and asking other divers if you can tag along

I guess these methods have worked.

Check out singledivers.com you might be able to find a buddy on there

As someone mentioned--if you are staying at one of the oceanfront resorts that does boat diving, you will find buddy's on the boat dives for later shore diving. Over the years, our groups have added divers met at the resort, especially when the groups have been small. You will do an orientation the first day, so that's an opportunity to meet other divers. Right after that is an orientation shore dive out front, another chance to meet folks. And then later, a boat dive....

I think Bonaire tends to be expensive if you are doing everything solo. The single supplement rates tended to be very high when I was looking.

Only true if you are going to a resort or have to be right on the water. I stay at Coco Palm Garden - full apartment with a full kitchen for $66/day - no single suppliment, a flat price. They also arrainge two weeks of unlimited air (Dive Friends Bonaire) and get me the best possible price on a truck fo my stay. My two week stay costs a few dollars under $1900. Can't do that at a resort.

Bonaire budget vacation accommodation - scuba diving - windsurfing

Solo travelers can be found on Bonaire all the time. That's what I have been doing for the last 8 years after my favorite buddy had to stop diving. I'll dive solo only when I want to. It's easy to find someone to hook up with. Not a problem.

What JimW and Jetwrench said. I would have no problem going solo and finding folks to shore dive with. People ask us all the time if they can join us for shore or night dive. If I knew someone was solo, I'd probably ask you if you wanted to make a shore dive (as long as you appear relatively competent). We've 'adopted' solo and/or newbies many times, showed them the ropes, loaned gear for night dives, had them over for dinner. And days we wanted to go out alone we simply said 'we wanna do this one just us'. Let the operator know you are looking for shore dive buddies, do boat dives and find others who may know the lay of the land and ask to join them. I've done that when my buddy wants a break - 'hey, he wants to eat and nap, can I tag along?' I do think Bonaire gets a lot of freshly minted divers, I would want to do a benign first dive and ask about your certs but beyond that, lets go dive. I'd like to think divers and Bonaire are unique in that regard.

You could be perfectly happy just boat diving on Bon and as other have said you should have no trouble finding a buddy for some shore dives. I boat dive through Capt Dons and they have three 1 tanks going out each day. I always see divers on the boats who do two to three boat dives a day and likely to little or no shore diving and they seem perfectly content. We only do a handful of boat dives each week bc we shore dive as well but I don't see any reason why you would not have a great time in Bon even if most of your diving was on a boat. Best of luck with your plans.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess the other thing I should ask is which resorts will not sting me big time for a single supplement? I don't mind going to the smaller, budget accommodations as long as they are clean and within walking distance of a decent dive operator.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess the other thing I should ask is which resorts will not sting me big time for a single supplement? I don't mind going to the smaller, budget accommodations as long as they are clean and within walking distance of a decent dive operator.
When dealing directly, I am not sure that any of the places have a "single supplement", but I do not think there is a "singles discount" either.

Like a hotel room here in NA, there is a room rate and a maximum number of occupants for the room. You rent the room and pay the same room price regardless of the number of occupants. Most (all?) rooms are designed for at least 2 adults.

Addons like food plans and diving are per person.

Single spplements are an invention of tour group operators (and liveaboards).

Like Kharon said, just get your own own apt , then you dont have to worry about single supplements or anything, check out Coco palm gardens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom