Should a new HID bulb look like this - or am I picky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have three of these bulbs, one from DiveRite and two directly from Welch Allyn, and all the fillaments are lopsided. The DR one focused but broke. The first one from Welch Allyn focuses with the reflector in a slightly diferent position. Maybe I'll try the third one tomorrow. Where did you get the notion that they are supposed to be straight? Is your light focusable? Maybe I should call Welch Allyn, the vendor and manufacturer of my bulbs.

Where did you get the notion that they are supposed to be straight? Is your light focusable? Maybe I should call Welch Allyn, the vendor and manufacturer of my bulbs.

Common sense dictates it ought to be fairly align/straight, and yes, it is a focusable. Nonetheless, if the filament is canted, the hot spot will not be centered. Instead you will have spill over on one side. Imagine a beam where the hot (brightest) spot is starts at the edge of the circle rather than the center.

It's one of the two brands sold at HD. You will not find it on Karim's belt. I think you can deduce which one I have.

Oh yeah, I can see the slug now in one of the bulb pictures. This Karim uses, what, a light canon? Does Halcyon still use Welch Allyn bulbs in their 10 watt lights?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom