Should a new HID bulb look like this - or am I picky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
Am I being picky? This is a replacement bulb I received. It appears to have water spots inside the bulb. I know this is not a normal. Should I live with it or return it?

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Am I being picky? This is a replacement bulb I received. It appears to have water spots inside the bulb. I know this is not a normal. Should I live with it or return it?

Sure it is on the inside? I'd spray Windex or other class cleaner on a paper towel, and then use it to scrub the bulb. Make sure you do not get any finger oils on it.

If it was sitting on a shelf and got overspray (maybe someone cleaning nearby), I can see it looking like that.

Then again, the third photo showed an opening . . . the actual bulb is inside a protective cover. Can you get it off and use a Qtip? Bottom line is how big a PITA is it to send / take it back.

Don't **** with it. Send it back. You can't take the "protective cover" off. Wether it's new or used, it should never have been exposed to water or windex and shouldn't have spots on it.

If it's used, maybe someone's test tube broke and flooded the bulb which would probably be a shock to the filament. Why don't you just contact Welch/Allyn directly and ask them? They're very helpful.

If it's used, maybe someone's test tube broke and flooded the bulb which would probably be a shock to the filament. Why don't you just contact Welch/Allyn directly and ask them? They're very helpful.

It didn't come from Welch Wllyn. It came from an OEM.
The same bulb from Welch Allyn is about 4x cheaper than a replacement bulb through OEM.

It didn't come from Welch Wllyn. It came from an OEM.
The same bulb from Welch Allyn is about 4x cheaper than a replacement bulb through OEM.

OK, send it back and get 4 bulbs from Welch Allyn for the same money. You can still contact Welch Allyn and ask them about a bulb they manufacture.

Last edited:
I'm a UV chemist, and I use industrial UV curing bulbs, which are essentially seriously large versions of HID bulbs (one of mine is 48" and over 19,000 watts - love to take that underwater for UV biofluorescence photography!) and the bulb manufacturers warn against water spots or fingerprints on the quartz bulb because the energy concentrates as heat wherever there is a "spot" of any sort, and bulb breakage will occur at those weak points eventually. So that may be a broken bulb waiting to happen, even if it is on the protective envelope.

The only explanation I can imagine for the manufacturer leaving spots on the inside, would be a residual byproduct of the frosting process to frost the tip of the envelope you see in the pictures. Maybe they know that the spotting occurs, and the envelope is strong enough to handle it (especially since the mercury plasma gas is not in direct contact with the envelope the way it is in my UV bulbs).

scuba_moron,
Have you contacted the vendor of the bulb yet? I think we are all interested in their response.
Carrie

Not yet, Carrielsal.

This spotted bulb was a replacement. The original one that came with the light did not focus into a tight spot because the filament inside the bulb was crooked - see below pictures.

Therefore, the beam is lop sided, similar to what you see from a cheap flash lights. I have two of the exact same light, so I definitely can see a difference.

I want to give vendor the benefit of the doubt before I do a follow up with them.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom