Should a Dive Op charge you for rental gear in the case of your own gear failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, thanks for the feedback, I'm out of line on this one.

Appreciate the comments.
You, Sir, deserve kudos for this! You're one of the few I've seen that are that ready to accept that a perception at the time may not have been correct and grow from it.

Safe dives,

James

What brand and model?

Sorry I have no clue. Here's 2 pictures one shows the hole on top that the gas was hissing out of.

image_55415491.JPG image_67185665.JPG

There's a high pressure seat and a deformed Oring under there that should not leak, and never pop

I guess the alternative was to sit out the dive?

ps...I always carry a spare for me or a family member.

Sorry I have no clue. Here's 2 pictures one shows the hole on top that the gas was hissing out of.

View attachment 644908 View attachment 644911
Looks to be a scubapro MK5 with a different yoke knob, or a clone. There is no HP relief, I think the issue in in the seat but this is purely a guess without having it in hand. Be careful with whomever you have look at it, it been out of production for something like 30 years.

On dive trips, I always carry a complete spare regulator set with octo and SPG. No surprises for me.

I had a spare 1st stage, the IP was blowing so high the 2nd stage uncontrollably freeflowed.

Looks to be a scubapro MK5 with a different yoke knob, or a clone. There is no HP relief, I think the issue in in the seat but this is purely a guess without having it in hand. Be careful with whomever you have look at it, it been out of production for something like 30 years.
Says Oceanic on the pic

I agree: Scubapro Mk 5. Preceded, and very similar to, the Mk 10. Is it possible for the piston knife edge to cut completely through the HP seat? If that happened, wouldn't it sound like a "pop" at the moment it happened? And wouldn't bubbles immediately begin leaking out of the small hole?

Some HP seats were flat (no dimple) on both sides. Some people would flip the HP seat to the reverse side, as an expedient, when the piston knife edge had scored the seat too much. If the seat were scored deeply on both sides, would this increase the likelihood that the knife edge would cut clean through?

rx7diver

Looks to be a scubapro MK5 with a different yoke knob ... Be careful with whomever you have look at it, it been out of production for something like 30 years.

Should be easy (and inexpensive) to get running again. Service kits are in stock at Vintage Double Hose, I believe. The Scubapro Mk 5 will run forever!

rx7diver

Should be easy (and inexpensive) to get running again. Service kits are in stock at Vintage Double Hose, I believe. The Scubapro Mk 5 will run forever!

rx7diver
Except he doesn’t work on regulators, if a read his post right, finding the right shop for these may prove problematic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom