Shorty Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdvaughn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking to buy a shorty suit that I can wear for warm waters. First of all...do I need a suit to go diving in key west over thanksgiving time? I have never dove there at that time of year and have no idea how the water is. I was looking at some 3mm suits from akona, scubapro. etc. Any ideas?

I recommend a full 3mm suit. Gloves and a hood in case it gets chilly.

Harry's right, the 3mm fullsuit is your best bet. Its only a few more inches of neoprene covering your legs and arms, but you'll be thankful if you ever brush up agains fire coral or swim through hydroids. If you MUST have a shorty and I know people who won't budge on this then the Scubapro or Pinnacle Spirit are great choices especially if you are thinner person. If a little thicker like most Americans, Bare would be a better choice, not as warm as the others, but it is much stretchier and more comfortable. There's a HUGE quality difference between Akona, Scubapro, Pinnacle and Bare. Then thing they're all going to fit and feet a little different and as far a shorties go, they're all about the same price, we at least within $30 of the good quality ones.

Robert

We (locals) dive in 3-5mm full suits by Thanksgiving.
I dive in a 3mm shorty as long as water temp is 80 or above. We have cold fronts coming through this time of year where water temps drop quickly.
You will get by with a 3mm full suit , hood not necessary.

:wink: Man it really is worth having a full suit then huh? I am glad I asked you guys before I went and bought a shorty. I much rather buy a full, just didnt know if it would be too warm diving out at dry tortugas. any more suggestions as where I can find good prices?

anyone else have any suggestions...? I want to buy a wetsuit, but am confused as what to do. I live in virginia beach, so a full suit would be good, but I am afraid if I buy a fullsuit that it will be too warm for dry tortugas during thanks giving. I want to be able to use the wetsuit up in virginia waters also. help?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom