Short people problems/hacks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're diving locally, buy an HP80

I'm just starting, so I don't know much...are these steel tanks? Are all steel tanks shorter than AL80s?

One of the divers in our regular group is a petite woman. She dives Al 63s where available and yet is able to achieve dive times just as long as some of us who are on Al 80s. I suppose there is a relation between one's body size and air consumption rate.

My lds said they will have some Al tanks that have the same capacity as Al80s on sale at some point. Depending on price, I may do that or the steel tanks mentioned above. The steel tanks might be a good idea since I'll be diving cold locally and kinda need to be held down in the water at this point.

@Altamira I prefer the tank banging my knees rather than my head.

Yeah, I was thinking this is definitely the lesser of two evils.

If you plan to dive tropical destinations, AL80s are the most common tanks, but AL63s are sometimes available. Some places just have a few around, and other places it's helpful to arrange ahead to try and put dibs on them (especially for a liveaboard where you will generally use the same tank all week. Depending where they are, sometimes if they don't have them on board they can get their hands on some if they know in advance.) There are also tropical destinations that are all about playing dive sherpa (often referred to as valet diving) where you'll never lift a tank.

Thanks for this tip. I definitely want to go abroad next year.

View attachment 463649 View attachment 463648 Tank used to hit me in head AND butt, however the rails on my Freedom Contour back plate and wing setup moved tank up to trim, so i can wear tank lower without getting spanked.
I would not carry tank on my sloping shoulders and minimum upper body strength, perilous. At home i have wheeled folding cart am trying to design a DIY lightweight, micro travel version for trips to florida. Ideas welcome.
I am more dwarf that sprite, so i buy regular wetsuit, gloves, fins and cut to shorten. The knee pads become shin pads, but still. I cut my fins in a thread called flipper nipping, to fit in suitcase and also avoid over straining short legs.

I want a BP/W. The jacket bcd I've been renting feels like a puffy corset. If a bp/w can solve the tank dangle problem as well as the corset problem, that would be great. Is that feature specific to the Freedom Contour? I thought about just chopping off the extra length of neoprene rather than getting a custom wetsuit, but wondered whether it'd be like chopping off the legs of regular pants, which are cut to fit specific parts of the leg, so you'd get a weird fit. Also, would that screw up the seams?

Our Women's size small is designed for 5 -1 to 5' 3" so you are well within the range of a stock suit- assuming that your weight is within the range of 105 to 125 lbs.

thanks, I'll check them out

OP, FWIW: I'm 5'8", 5'9" if you round, and I STILL can't let my arms dangle free while holding an AL80 or it drags. However, I'm all torso, not much leg length, so tank position isn't an issue at all.

Do you sling the tank? After the debate above about whether it's a good idea, I'm picturing myself dropping it on its valve and causing some kind of explosion. I'm not weak per se, I lift weights but they're so awkward to handle.

Get yourself a fold-up hand truck (trolley to us Brits) for the cylinder and save you back at the same time....

yeah, I might do that for local dives

My girlfriend is 5'2" and found a Pinnacle suit that fits her extremely well.

I know a woman who dives with a small aluminum tank (I thought it was a 50 but perhaps it's a 63). She is rather petite but one small tank filled with Nitrox

I have a set of steel double 50s (or 45s?) which are short and wide and the bands have a built-in handle that actually works.

I'll look at those wetsuits, thanks. And I plan to get Nitrox certified soon.

So are steel tanks in general shorter?

As said somewhere above, you petite gals seem to have gills....

Just about everyone has said this, so I guess it goes into the plus column, where it joins fitting into airplane seats.

With 2 tanks (one in each hand) I just have to constantly lift rather than let my arms dangle. With one tank, it's on my shoulder.

I wonder if there's a way to sling so the tank's weight is on the hips not the shoulders? A colleague of mine studies load carrying in women and she points out that women will carry a given load on the hips where men will put it on the shoulders. If I remember, I'll see if she has any thoughts on carrying tanks.

I'm just starting, so I don't know much...are these steel tanks? Are all steel tanks shorter than AL80s?

My lds said they will have some Al tanks that have the same capacity as Al80s on sale at some point. Depending on price, I may do that or the steel tanks mentioned above. The steel tanks might be a good idea since I'll be diving cold locally and kinda need to be held down in the water at this point.

I want a BP/W. The jacket bcd I've been renting feels like a puffy corset.

So are steel tanks in general shorter?

Bp/w will solve the puffy corset issue in my experience.

The link goes to steel and aluminum tank charts which show things like the height, diameter, weight of various tank brands and sizes.

Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

I’m 5’5”. I dive HP80 tanks. Work a charm. I’m even going to sidemount them!

My major problem is on dive boats. I’m not tall enough to comfortably be able to pull my BP/W on/off a tank in the rack. So I put tank on the floor. Not the best thing to do on a rocking boat on the water, but it’s the only way I can do it myself.

Oh, and I don’t carry my tanks (knee/sciatica issues). I have one of those collapsible rolling wagons. Worth every penny. Why carry stuff when you can move it on wheels instead?

Regarding the HP80 cylinders, the HP stands for high Pressure which in this case means 3442 or 3500 psi. So the same amount of gas goes in to a smaller space. They are several inches shorter than an aluminum 80. They are about the same weight (out of the water) as the al80, but since they displace less, they end up being more negative in the water, so less lead is needed to sink you. Some people have problems with getting short fills from their LDS because the normal tank is 3000 psi, but I'm guessing up in Michigan they are used to the higher pressure fills.

There is a Small Freedom for sale here in the classifieds for $150 that will go quickly.

For a drysuit, try an Aqualung Fusion (used to be Whites Fusion) in size 2XS/XS. They will fit a wider size range than they indicate on their size chart because they use a lycra outer shell over a waterproof lining. Dive Right In Scuba is selling the Bullet version of this for 50% off right now in 2XS/XS. The Bullet is the technical version of the Fusion and is heavier duty than the lighter Fusion Sport. Actually I see the Fusions in the smallest size on ebay from time to time with very few dives on them for ~$500, so don't feel that you need to snap up any deals.

Search "Wheeled scuba tank boot" to get to some ebay listings that some people have had success with.

Have fun diving!

Brian

I came on to post about a tank chart and Mako wetsuits, but both are covered!

But with the Mako suits (or freediving suits in general, but Makos are great suits at an awesome price), they are two part, so the length is less specific than a standard one piece suit. So if you are short or long in the torso for your height, the freediving suits work out great (high waisted pants and jacket). My experience with the sizing on those is to follow the height specifications over the weight range. They are super stretchy suits, so even though I am a good 20-30 lbs over the weight range of a large, I'm in the height range, and the large fits me like a glove. You will need lube to get into them though.

The other super stretch suits like the henderson and aqualung are crappy neoprene that are easy to get on in the store, but will leave you cold at depth and not last for long.

-Chris

But with the Mako suits (or freediving suits in general, but Makos are great suits at an awesome price), they are two part, so the length is less specific than a standard one piece suit. So if you are short or long in the torso for your height, the freediving suits work out great (high waisted pants and jacket). My experience with the sizing on those is to follow the height specifications over the weight range. They are super stretchy suits, so even though I am a good 20-30 lbs over the weight range of a large, I'm in the height range, and the large fits me like a glove. You will need lube to get into them though.

The other super stretch suits like the henderson and aqualung are crappy neoprene that are easy to get on in the store, but will leave you cold at depth and not last for long.

-Chris
Chris I definitely agree that I find I have to replace my stretchy suits all too often from loss of insulation. I have hesitated on the Mako suit because of the chest pad and because I have heard they can be difficult to get on.

Chris I definitely agree that I find I have to replace my stretchy suits all too often from loss of insulation. I have hesitated on the Mako suit because of the chest pad and because I have heard they can be difficult to get on.

They have a mens freediving suit (vs spearfishing suit) that has no chest pad. And having had both with and without chest pads... I really can't tell the difference once it is on. Open cell suits are impossible to get on without either water or lube. They are basically a sheet of tiny suction cups. But with lube (or jumping in the water to put them on if it's warm enough) it is easier to get them on than a regular suit. The open cells is one thing that makes them so warm and stretchy though.

I just got back from a 3 day offshore trip and realized I forgot my lube. I had to put it on in the shower, which was a pain, but it still didn't take much longer than other divers getting on their suits.

I wonder if there's a way to sling so the tank's weight is on the hips not the shoulders? A colleague of mine studies load carrying in women and she points out that women will carry a given load on the hips where men will put it on the shoulders. If I remember, I'll see if she has any thoughts on carrying tanks.

Huh, I would be very interested in what she has to say

All right, ordinarily I hate looking at tables full of numbers but I do need to educate myself on this stuff

I’m 5’5”. I dive HP80 tanks. Work a charm. I’m even going to sidemount them!

My major problem is on dive boats. I’m not tall enough to comfortably be able to pull my BP/W on/off a tank in the rack. So I put tank on the floor. Not the best thing to do on a rocking boat on the water, but it’s the only way I can do it myself.

About how long does one of those tanks lasts you? I know we're all different; I'm just curious.

Yeah, I'm learning to be creative in donning and doffing my gear.

Regarding the HP80 cylinders...For a drysuit, try an Aqualung Fusion...

Thanks for explaining the cylinder, and the brand recommendation. I wish there were a giant wet/drysuit warehouse nearby where I can actually in person try all these things on.

But with the Mako suits (or freediving suits in general, but Makos are great suits at an awesome price), they are two part...

-Chris

Thanks for mentioning this! The two part design might allow me to avoid having to get a custom one.

Back
Top Bottom