SHORT NOTICE!! Important Hearing! Maui C.O.R.A. needs help again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
I just got this in my email today. We are not out of the woods yet over here on Maui. Any support you can provide is greatly apreciated. We need people to show up and testify. Funny how last time Tamara Horcajo (Director of Parks and Recreation) made a 'funny' when she commented that the hearing involved the "EAR committee" (as in they will actually hear us with their ears...yeah right! Hmmmph!!!). We need to make sure they really hear us this time!!

Get down to the chamber if you can and if you can't, send a letter to our legislators. If they wanted us to have the things we actually need here on Maui, we would have them. If they don't want us to have the things we need, we won't (and don't) have them. Show them who's boss. We elected them and they work for us. They need a little reminder of that right now.

(From Jeff at MDS):

Dear Maui Beach Operators,

If you haven’t heard already, there is another hearing on “Transferability of CORA Permits” (EAR 20) on Thursday December 3rd at 1:00 pm at the County Council Chambers. Please attend as the industry needs your support. This is an important time to stand together.

I must say it's a pretty lame letter from him but at least we know about it now (even though it's less than two days away!!!!). A little more notice might be better next time, ya think??

Please attend, support, email, call, tell others, etc. What you are witnessing is the monopolization of our industry and dive sites and the loss of locations and choices within Maui watersports. If the decision goes the wrong way it will stifle competition and leave the general public with less options and choices which we all know is not good in a capitalistic economy. (Remember, this affects SCUBA Schools and Independant Instructors, Windsurfing Schools, Kiteboarding Schools, Surfing Schools, Kayak Excursions and Snorkeling Tours. Water safety is our business. Do not let them jeopardize safety like they are jeopardizing all of our other social services like education and health care!!! Enough Already!!)

I'm sure many of you that read this also like to do other things in the water (besides dive) and would like to see your children be able to have the same or better experiences than you. Think about how you can help and step up to the plate.

Thank you very much!

OK Doug, what kind of testimony do you think will help? Is this meeting just about the transferability of the permits? Since I went to work on a west side boat I have not kept up with the south side issues; have most permits been changed to mostly Ulua? Does the Dowling bankruptcy mean there is a chance Makena Landing could ever be permitted again?

Maybe others have questions as well???

As far as I know, this hearing will focus strictly on transferability of permits. The way I see it they have created the problem. Previously, you could go down and get a permit. So if you bought my company you could go apply for a permit. If everything was in order you would be able to get one. Now they have stopped issuing permits altogether. This is their attempt to reduce the CORA people through attrition (a nasty word in my book). Because they are doing this, people feel like the permits are 'Gold' and they hang on for dear life even though they only last one year but permitted people are the only ones eligible for renewal.

My solution would be to get rid of the current system. Give us access to ALL Maui beach parks and shoreline again (like the old days). Limit the number of people a business can bring on an excursion to a reasonable amount (say 6 or 8 people at a time for scuba or snorkeling). Open up the permit system to new folks. If they can comply with the rules give them a permit and then enforce the rules that are in place. Set up a tier of permits for small operators like me and big ops like MDS. We have different needs and wants. MDS might take 50 people a day to different dive locations whereas I may only take two or three people out to one location and be done for the day. One of the biggest issues that has us in the jam we are in is the LACK of previous enforcement. The county never regulated any of the old rules and here we are. They are not regulating any of the present rules either by the way. It's pretty much a free-for-all out there right now and it's super congested at places like Ulua Beach.

As far as Dowling and Makena Landing goes I don't really have an answer for you. Private folks are allowed to use the place all they want. Commercial watersports people will be approached and questioned by Makena resort security. (Commercial construction companies, landscapers, carpet cleaners and the like are completely left alone when they are in the lot though...hmm, selective enforcement as they choose. Not fair and equitable if you ask me.) I was FINALLY approached about two weeks ago when some friends and I were hanging out there on my day off. They questioned me, took my name and number and basically said have a nice day. They also told me no commercial operators were allowed. They are really developing that place. They have changed the parking lot entry, added about a dozen parking stalls, built a huge retaining wall and are going to town on the construction. You would hardly recognize it. It will be beautiful when it's completed but it will be very different from the quaint little hideaway that it used to be.

We need them to repeal the new rules since they aren't even using them and come up with better rules. Since the new rules replace the old rules there is a situation where we really have no rules right now. The enforcement guys drive around in their air conditioned trucks all day at the tax payers expense and they don't do a damn thing. They barely even acknowledge me when I wave to them as they pass by. It used to be that we worked together now it's more like 'Us against Them'.

Please come to the hearing. Listen to the discussion. Learn about what they are doing. Stand up for your rights. Vote all incumbants out of office next election. We need new blood in there that doesn't owe anyone any favors. Take back our beach parks!!

Doug... your suggestions sound excellent.

I'm impressed that a current operator (with a permit) is suggesting that the system be opened to "new folks". As you're aware the only reason I (and many other "new" instructors) was operating the way I was is due to the fact that the County wouldn't even consider granting a new permit. I'm almost 100% certain, we all would have gladly marched into the County offices to get one, if they were available.

Best quote of the day from Parks and Recreation Director Ms. Tamara Horcajo just minutes before we assembled inside for the hearing:

"If you guys just don't testify we can all get this over with faster and get outside and enjoy this beautiful day!"

Lot's of misinformation there again. Won't some of you please come down and speak your minds to these people when we get the chance?? They are taking away our shoreline access, bit by bit.

The hearing will be on AKAKU Maui Community Television soon, not sure when but it will be channel 53 or 54.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom