shore spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reecehitch

Registered
Reaction score
I am really interested in heading south this year homestead,ft lauderdale,palm beach just to give a general direction if any one has some tips of places to start im a freedive spearfisher so 30ft or less

I'd say the best spot is the pompano dropoff. Take the atlantic blvd exit off 95 and once you hit the beach go south and park at any of those streets. White buoys mark the actual dropoff, which is the best spot, but also a far swim. You can go out and see reef before the dropoff though. There's also commercial blvd in lauderdale by the sea, which has a lot more reef much closer..but I never see much in the way of game fish there.

thanks for that info i will look into that, ive seen videos around bridges down that way do you know if they are worth it?

The only bridge I know of is the blue heron bridge, which is a decent dive but its a protected area no so spears are alowed

I've also seen spearfishers at Lauderdale by the Sea: I have no idea if its legal or not. If you search youtube, you'll see video's of a guy that spearfishes off of Palm Beach as well. His 10 minutes of fame was when a video he took of a shark shadowing him was used on Shark Week.

ahh, now I get the question. When I first saw the topic title, I thought back to my younger days of either bow/arrow fishing from the shore or actual hand held spears in shallow water. (that was my reward to myself after running traps before/after school each morning/evening).

legal? regs on the books say no at LBTS & ft lauderdale beaches... legal on hollywood (must be unloaded on beach)

enforcement? probably not much if any unless it's loaded on the beach and you don't wave it around. i'd worry more about having a valid fishing license on me i think

thanks for all the info dont feel like getting in trouble, the dania pier what county is that?

I've also seen spearfishers at Lauderdale by the Sea: I have no idea if its legal or not. If you search youtube, you'll see video's of a guy that spearfishes off of Palm Beach as well. His 10 minutes of fame was when a video he took of a shark shadowing him was used on Shark Week.

Here's a link to the video I mentioned earlier

Spearfishing Shark Attack - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom