Shore driftin'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I noticed some divers drifting from the south up to Papa Hoggs dock. Just wondered if anyone knew where they might have entered the water. I'd like to do that some afternoon after the morning dives or in the morning before the afternoon dives. Also, if someone has done this in that area or another area, does the current have a tendency to keep you near the shore or will it pull you out away from shore?

we drifted from papa hogs to blue angel. the current goes parallel to the shore, i think, so it was a nice ride. didn't feel like we were being dragged out further away from the shore.

saw squids and the usual suspects during the day and saw an octopus during the night dive.

WE will be staying at Cariblu/Blue Angel and had thought about getting in, up current, and drifting back down to Blue Angel. How do you know when you are getting near your exit point from under water? Or can the folks at the dive shop give advise on the terrian and what to look for when we get near the point we want to exit?

Would it be better to grab a cab before or after the dive? Is there more to see drifting away from Bule Angel or towards Bule Angel?

WILL FRIDAY EVER GET HERE!!!

underachiever:
WE will be staying at Cariblu/Blue Angel and had thought about getting in, up current, and drifting back down to Blue Angel. How do you know when you are getting near your exit point from under water? Or can the folks at the dive shop give advise on the terrian and what to look for when we get near the point we want to exit?

Would it be better to grab a cab before or after the dive? Is there more to see drifting away from Bule Angel or towards Bule Angel?

WILL FRIDAY EVER GET HERE!!!

It depends on how far out you go. If you stay fairly close in, you'll see the blocks and cables that anchor Caribe Blu's buoys. If you go out to the wall, it's better to look for the buoy and bricked over power cable that is connected to the lighthouse and follow the cable in to the lighthouse.

Garrobo:
I noticed some divers drifting from the south up to Papa Hoggs dock. Just wondered if anyone knew where they might have entered the water. I'd like to do that some afternoon after the morning dives or in the morning before the afternoon dives. Also, if someone has done this in that area or another area, does the current have a tendency to keep you near the shore or will it pull you out away from shore?

I have entered at La Ceiba and swum out to the wall, taking out at either Villablanca (Hog's) or Caribe Blu, depending on how strong the current was running.

Shore diving from CaribeBlu we just swam out to the first marker, descended, and then swam into the current (South) for maybe 30 minutes. The current is was not strong, but I'm sure that depends on the day. After a time we turned around, and drifted slowly back checking out things as we went. The current follows the shore. Maintain depth, and you will generally stay within a reasonable distance from the shore.

If you are doing a 10~20 foot dive, it's not going to kill you to ascend to do a spot check on the hotel. That is exactly what we did. Just ascend at a normal ascent rate, look around, and then go back down.

Shore diving from Coz is hardly like Bonaire, but then again, it's a heck of a lot better than anywhere I could drive to go shore diving short of Lauderdale by the Sea! :D

If we were not doing 4 dives a day on most days, we would have done a lot more shore diving in Coz. It's also cheap or even free at Caribe Blu. If you stay at the hotel, and dive with Aldora even ONE day, it's free.

RonFrank:
If we were not doing 4 dives a day on most days, we would have done a lot more shore diving in Coz. It's also cheap or even free at Caribe Blu. If you stay at the hotel, and dive with Aldora even ONE day, it's free.

I believe you mean Blue Angel, not Aldora. The same folks own BA and Caribe Blu.

We plan right now to do morning boat dives. And depending on the conditions either shore or boat in the afternoon and feel pretty sure we will do a couple of night dives. Hopr to get to do a cenote on the mainland also.

SO some of you have done night shore dives? Sounds like fun!!

Last week my daughter and I walked from villa blanca up to Casa Del mar and walked in there , drifted back down to Papa Hogs (VB) . was a decent snorkel. Dzul Ha had the only coral heads to speak of that I saw . Saw a huge spotted eel while snorkeling there. MD

Unless the current is wicked, I'd rather swim into a current than walk fully geared up especially if it's hot!

Yes, it's Blue Angle. Coz has so many dive Ops, I can't keep them straight! :D

Night shore diving would be great as the octopus come out to play. There is a surprising amount of life to be found doing the shore diving. What is missing are the dramatic reefs, but the life is abundant, and worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom