Shore Diving - Where do you go and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just curious where everyone goes for a shore dive and why? Whether it's your local watering hole or a far away travel excursion.

I really like shore diving because it's cheap and it usually is something non-divers can enjoy as well. For example, in Florida there is a lot of beach shore diving. Divers go diving and the non-divers enjoy the sun.

I live in Florida so I am blessed with great shore diving all of the state but I'm always looking for a new spot. I also have enjoyed shore diving in the Carolinas and California.

So right now I have two favorite spots for shore diving. The first is Venice Beach, because of the shark's teeth you can look for. My second spot is in Vero Beach. Great limestone ledges close to shore.

So let me know where you are shore diving and why. Who knows we all might find a new spot to dive closer than we think.

More than a dozen dive sites within 15 minutes of my house. Diverse Marine life with Moray's, Horned Sharks, Octopus, Bat Rays, Spanish Shawls, and all the usual fish Garibaldi, Sheephead, Kelp bass, senorita fish and others.

In addition there is nothing in the ocean like being in a kelp forest. The best comparison I have heard is that it is like standing in a grove of redwoods underwater. The Kelp stalks can tower 80 to 100 feet overhead.

As long as the waves are not stoked for the surfers the water temperature is nothing a good 7 mil wet suit or a dry suit can't handle.

Dahab, in the Red Sea

We're off to Bonaire in July.

Why? I could spend the whole holiday diving, but my wife has other ideas. She does dive, but likes ti do other stuff too :06: So I dive in the morning, and we can do something else in the afternoon.

How far from shore do you Dive in Venice? How deep is It? Whats the bottom Like?
Thanks Duke---I may head down in July! Whats the water temp. that time of year?

Entry is a bit tricky as it's ironshore at my apartment, but the water's edge is just a few yards from my door. Couldn't be much more convenient.

It's all of the convenience of home with excellent diving at my doorstep.

Cook Strait, 10 minutes from my door in Wellington NZ. Heaps of interesting places to choose from, and the only time it is not a good idea is following a southerly blow, which is not the prevailing wind. A dive off the beach is a great way to start the weekend.

Bonaire....going again in August. Dive any time...day or night. Simply incredible.

I love diving Maui and do it several weeks a year. But in a couple of months I'll try my hand at shore diving kona. We'll see ....

Hi!

My husband and I shore dive in Monterey and Carmel CA. It's great because it's 45minutes to an hour away and the kelp beds are so gorgeous. Plus it keeps us current with diving, so when we go on a trip we are very comfortable and don't have to think about it as much. It becomes second nature. One of our favorite beaches is Monastery Beach in Carmel. Rough entry and exit, but it is wonderful on a good day. Watch the depth gauge, it gets deep real quick. It's right on the Monterey Canyon. It looks like the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Enjoying the cold water diving in sunny California!

GoBlowBubbles:
Hello everyone,

Just curious where everyone goes for a shore dive and why? Whether it's your local watering hole or a far away travel excursion.

I really like shore diving because it's cheap and it usually is something non-divers can enjoy as well. For example, in Florida there is a lot of beach shore diving. Divers go diving and the non-divers enjoy the sun.

I live in Florida so I am blessed with great shore diving all of the state but I'm always looking for a new spot. I also have enjoyed shore diving in the Carolinas and California.

So right now I have two favorite spots for shore diving. The first is Venice Beach, because of the shark's teeth you can look for. My second spot is in Vero Beach. Great limestone ledges close to shore.

So let me know where you are shore diving and why. Who knows we all might find a new spot to dive closer than we think.

Never done any shore diving, but from what I have read, Bonaire is #1 in that reguard. 49 sites all on the leeward side of the island.

We are also heading there July 24th-31st. 1tank boat dive each AM, and then probably 2-4 shore dives later through out the day. Gonna be groggy by Friday, but happy! (narced? :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom