Shore diving tricks and tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of good info on getting in... but you also need to figure out where your exit point will be after you decide on your entry. Sometimes the entry and exit are different. Have different exit points in mind in case you can't use your primary exit if conditions change while you are out there. Walk the shoreline to know what is around the bend or past the outcrop so there are no unknowns if you end up there or need to exit there. Know how to exit under different conditions. Sometimes getting out is more difficult than getting in. I recently called a dive at a site because getting out was an unknown... full moon and bad reputation of the site. Never worth the risk.

Pay attention to the currents and tide (and full moons) because that can affect what happens when you've been diving for an hr... You might end your dive and come out to a strong surge and crashing waves that might not be what you expected. If it is your first time at a site, take the time to talk to other divers there to get more info if possible. Above all, as much as you want to dive a site, call the dive if you are uncomfortable or unsure that you should be making the dive.

Pay attention to the currents and tide (and full moons) because that be can affect what happens when you've been diving for an hr... You might end your dive and for e out to a strong surge and crashing waves that might not be what you expected. If it is your first time at a site, take the time to talk to other divers there to get more info if possible. Above all, as much as you want to dive a site, call the dive if you are uncomfortable or unsure that you should be making the dive.

Monastery beach comes to mind as a dive spot where talking to locals and/or dive shops, or diving with a person very familiar with the site, would be helpful if you're going to dive it for the first time..

. +1 for spring clip fin straps... as far as rocks and other underwater obstacles, if im going to dive at a new place, I ask/talk to other divers at the site after already talking with a local dive shop about any underwater obstacles, currents, and/or things to be considered/be on the lookout for. Checking tides and weather conditions through NOAA is also helpful when planning a dive day...

...Wear mask on forhead...
:confused:

I respectfully disagree. The only reason I can this being useful is if you don't like your mask and needed an excuse to buy a new one. Keep a back-up mask secured so you don't have to call the dive when your mask is lost in the surf.

-Chocula

We are spoilt for shore dive spots so we can getaway with doing this at a new spot

Firstly we will try to get on a guided dive through one of the clubs if we cant we will talk to one of the local dive shops for advice.

Then we is check the site a low tide to see what the bottom is like and where the best spot to enter is, looking for a flat sandy bottom

We will then check it out on high tide with a few different wind conditions

When we are happy we have found the easiest/safe way we will give it a go as there is no point getting smashed for a dive when we can go some place else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A trick I learned on Bonaire (after flubbing around on severtal shore entries). Watch the waves and count. Usually there will be a pattern of increasing wave height with several much smaller waves following the largest. Once you figure out the pattern you wait for the largest and then enter as it's receeding. Quickly go out far enough to float (chest high) and put your fins on.

I disagree with this advice, at least for California diving. The big waves and the small waves come int sets. There will be a set of big waves followed by a period of quiet sea with small waves. Therefore I wait for the first small wave and enter then. Chances are the next wave will be small as well. You can do the same on exiting.

:confused:

I respectfully disagree. The only reason I can this being useful is if you don't like your mask and needed an excuse to buy a new one. Keep a back-up mask secured so you don't have to call the dive when your mask is lost in the surf.

You missed where I said in CALM water, but slippery rocks, etc. If you lose a mask off the forehead there you've had one too many. In surf I would not put it on my forehead--the 2-3 times I dived those conditions I just put the mask right on (cleared fog if necessary). Wearing it on forehead is, IMO, a big safety point when a fall on seaweedy rocks can be real rough. You need best possible vision. Ironically, I have bought several masks but use the one I found in Vortex Spring. How was that one lost?

Enter facing perpendicular (sideways) to the oncoming waves. This will provide a more solid footing and lessen the chances of being bowled over by oncoming waves.

Put it around your neck or clip it to your bc much more secure and you still have clear vision. I'm also in the camp of don't put your mask on your forehead.

If you are clambering over a beach of little rocks, see image below, even small swell can make the entry difficult. It is easy to get knocked off balance. You can improve your stability by locking arms with another diver and walking out together. Same when you return.

Get a pair of dive boots that provide a bit of support for your ankles, have a good sturdy sole and are high enough to keep out little stones. Discovering during your dive you've had a little stone wash into your boot during your entry is annoying. I normally use a dive boot that is like a low cut shoe and have found they're not the best for this kind of entry.

Always keep an eye out on the swell behind you as you make your exit. I'll admit to sometimes getting a little laugh out of watching a wave creep up quietly behind an unsuspecting diver and knock them off balance.

Bali 2013-08-18 Dive 2 No. 1.jpg

On exiting I always surface after the safety stop to make sure I'm coming out in a safe area. After checking my bearings I can decide if to continue underwater or swim on surface.

There was a case a few months ago of a diver in San Diego at Marine Room who surfaced at the sea wall and could not get out.

I agree with Foxfish about the rocky beaches. I try to avoid them as it's too easy to lose your balance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom