Shore diving - Sept or Oct? Which island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha

What’s the better time to shore dive - Sept. or Oct.? is there much difference in terms of ease of entry/exit and viz?
What island would you consider the best for shore diving at that time?

Here’s my background and why I ask - My (then boyfriend, now) husband and I were in Maui way back in Nov/Dec 2005 (seems a million years ago!) We did some boat dives as well as some shore diving. It was great diving, but we did find the conditions a bit difficult (surf/swell, stirred up/poor viz.) at some of the sites we dove, or wanted to dive.
We were in Oahu in Jan. 2009, but it was a short trip. So that and being Jan, we didn’t dive at all. That’s all the Hawaii experience we have.
Now we’re considering a short getaway trip (4-5 nights - all DH could spare) for the sole purpose of shore diving. I really miss all the turtles! (among other great sealife)
The Oct. 7-10 weekend would be handy to take advantage of our long weekend, but if mid-late Sept. might be better condition wise, we may rethink the time frame. Would another island be a better option than Maui?
I realize no one can predict the weather, but experts - those of you who live there or dive there lots, what do you think? When? Where? Thanks.

September and October are both good months, a 3 week change in your dates shouldn't make much of a difference. At any given time there could be a swell that might affect diving from one direction, but generally both months are pretty calm.

Consider trying the Big Island. There's lots of shore diving on the west side, both up in Kohala and down in Kona, and with less soil and sand the viz is typically real good as long as there isn't a swell coming directly into the dive site. Rain is a non-issue as far as runoff affecting viz. All the islands have some good shore diving, but it might be worth your while to try something new.

Thanks friscuba. I was wondering about the Big island. Our dive shop did a trip there but they did all boat dives (wish we went on that one). Great point about the lack of soil or sand affecting the viz. I will look into it. Sounds like Kona is the place to base out of then? I'd like to get to another Hawaiin island... but if it doesn't work out, well then it wouldn't suck to go back to Maui either. :)

Scuba Dive Kauai with Fathom Five, rated #1 by Ultimate Kauai Guidebook Kauai is the most beautiful island, whenever you see typical hawaii pictures they are always from Kauai. Shore diving at koala landing in Poipu and weather permitting at tunnels beach on north shore. Their boat dives are only 5-10 minutes from shore so too short to get seasick, surface intervals are on shore. Highly recommended

I just got back from my first Kona trip last week, and must say that the shore and boat diving over there is awesome. Thier is a lot of dives to do, and after 14 dives, I dont think I even scratched the surface. I will be going back next year for sure to do it again and hit some more sites. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom