Shore diving - other destinations? Ideas please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a dog in this fight either but I have never used The Dive Bus because I though $50 for a single tank shore dive was way out of line.

Personal opinion (which is neither right or wrong)!

We have a good "Dive and Drive" map, as well as some dive books, and lots of the operators on the island publish shore diving guides, and/or are happy to load you with information. It does take a little bit more sense of adventure than Bonaire, but not a ton, and there are way more shore dives to be had here than you could get done in a one or two week vacation.

The same applies for Cayman which people don't generally regard as a shore diving location. I have done 2,000+ dives in Cayman of which less than 50 have been boat dives.

Yeah, I don't know why certain places get a reputation as being "boat dive" areas. The operators here that run boats are mostly very good, and some are VERY VERY good (Ocean Encounters -- hi Bryan and Nolo). However, I can't tell you how many times I've been doing a shore dive here (there are over 60 and at almost every single one you could go either way on the reef) and seen boats pulling up to a perfectly accessible shore dive.

Now, if boat diving is your thing, hey I'm all for it, and I don't mean to diminish our operators on the island in the least. I just kind of hang my head in shame when I see people constantly choosing to go to Bonaire for the bazzilinth time over Curacao because "there is no shore diving in Curacao."

Jeff,

I can tell you why, from my perspective, which I think is the same as many other divers'.

Your dive shops don't advertise the availability of tanks w/air/Nitrox and weights. They don't have a "package price" for a week's worth of diving. In fact, my research earlier this year yielded the fact that none of the dive shops I found on Google would even let the tanks off their property (i.e., their house beach/reef) without a guide - either shore or boat.

If I found a shop that would, like Bonaire, let me take 2-3 tanks per person, and go to these shore dive sites, and then return them for full tanks, at a reasonable price (I don't want to buy the tanks, only use them for a week), I think that many of us would be all over the deal. Dive Bus was the only place I found advertising shore diving, outside of the local house reef. Most advertised that you were not allowed to take tanks off the Island, due to thief problems. While I understand their concern, especially since it's a larger island and possible residents/long term visitors might be tempted to "keep" the tanks, those of us who are there for only a week or two, aren't going to try and take them off island.

Maybe you could ask some of the shops to let us know if they have rental tanks available to vacationing divers to take on shore dives, without a sponsor keeping track of them?

Thanks for the information in any case...it does motivate me to "look deeper" into this for a future trip.

Dear Waterskier1,

Yeah, I know for sure that the boat operators do a great job of marketing, and the little shops not so much. But I can tell you that there are a boatload of shops that let tanks off the property for 10 Naf. Heck, I have 5 sitting in my house right now. I just swap them every weekend. They are "mine" so to speak. I can think of at least a dozen shops on the island that do it. Of the rest, I think the most they require is to keep a C card from your group. But, you are correct. I don't think this information is very available or advertised on the web at all. Most of them also have "unlimited air/weight" weight packages also for a small price. I get them for my sister when she comes down here for vacation. Around 25 NAF (USD 14) per day for unlimited air and weights.

I think if the smaller non-boat operators want to be successful down here they need to put together a little "dive operators of Curacao" website and get all that information out to the public. Maybe I'll mention that to some operators down here and see if it gets anywhere.

Safe diving,
Jeff

I'm finding this conversation quite interesting due to the fact that I am doing a trip to Curacao in July. I'm traveling with friends and we will most likely rent a truck and do shore diving. We'll be staying at Kura Hulanda with 2 tank boat dives per day. Not being much of a tourist that leaves a lot of time for shore diving.

Got any ideas or helpful hints? How about where to pick up one of those shore diving maps? I/we already know the ins and outs about not taking anything in the truck other than our dive gear--just like Bonaire, which I travel to twice a year.

bfisher,

Almost all of the local gas stations have the map, just ask for it when you are filling up.

I'm sure Kura Hulanda would be able to get you one as well.

If you need any tips or advise, visit me at Iguana Cafe while you are on the island, or send me a PM and I'll shoot you my priavate email and local cell #.

I'll bet we can talk Sunshine into stocking a few at her place for sale also, so if you go to Sol food you'll be able to get them.

You are staying in the thick of it out there. I almost wish I could take a vacation out there for a week and just dive, but work would call my phone like crazy!

Safe diving,
Jeff

bfisher,

One more thought... since you are going to be here in off season for cruise ships, make sure to come into town to dive Superior Producer! Its a wonderful wreck dive.

Heck, make sure to send me a PM, I'll take any chance I can get to go do that dive, and it's close to work, so I can just sneak out.

Jeff

...I've made a few hundred shore dives on St Croix. Specifically, Cane Bay, Davis Bay & Salt River. Cane Bay was my favorite shore dive there.

I second the vote for St Croix USVI. A large number of the northern sites are accessible from shore. There's also a great dive at the pier in Frederiksted, and an unexpectedly diverse top-side experience; plus no passport required for US travelers. Had a blast there last year.

Last edited:
4 years ago I have "discovered" Bonaire. Since then I have returned yearly. My favorite "feature" is the freedom of Shore diving. I would love to hear from all of you, diving wiz's, other ideas for destinations that will offer good shore diving. I can not go for more than 10-11 days at a time, so I highly prefer destinations that will not require 3-4 days of flying for the total trip [like remote Indonesian destinations]. I know the Red Sea well - so other ideas, please.
Thanks,
Yuval
The Cayman Islands shore diving was voted #2 by Scuba Diving magazine reader choice award and #1 for wall diving in the Carribbean, so you can not go wrong on a Cayman dive vacation. Diversteve provided you some great knowledge on Grand Cayman shore diving, I will second his suggestion to checkout the Lighthouse Point shore dive. In my opion it is by far the best shore with just not the mini wall close to the dock but the deep wall is also close and is a most do dive with deep canyons and swim throughs. Two mile farther north is another great shore dive at Cobalt Coast, their mini wall called Sea Fan reef was voted #1 by NOAA as the healthiest reef in the Cayman Islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom