Shore diving - other destinations? Ideas please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had any problem getting tanks by myself. Now I don't dive solo, but since when do we all go and get tanks with our dive buddy?

I too am looking for other places to go besides Bonaire (been there 9 times in the last 3.5 years). I'll continue to go to Bonaire, but would like something new also. I'd like to find something that has the freedom of shore diving, with the variety of sites offered by Bonaire.

I have done some live-aboards, and those are good too, but more expensive. Mostly because I choose to fix my own meals on Bonaire and I can cook cheaper (no way breakfast cost me $10 - $11 per person per day). Of course, I don't fix meals as extensive as they provide on live-aboards, but I really don't require them either.

I was disappointed in Roatan, but much of that could be because of the weather...I was there between two tropical storms last Oct.

One question I have, is why the shore dives on Curacao (and maybe other Carib Islands) cost so much. Places like dive bus charge $50/tank - which is what many boat dives cost. But they don't have the overhead of a boat. I'm not picking on this particular dive-op, just an example of what I found when researching shore diving on Curacao.

I'm a single diver, but probably won't dive solo in unfamiliar waters.

Looking forward to others' comments. :popcorn:

I too am looking for other places to go besides Bonaire (been there 9 times in the last 3.5 years). I'll continue to go to Bonaire, but would like something new also. I'd like to find something that has the freedom of shore diving, with the variety of sites offered by Bonaire.

I have done some live-aboards, and those are good too, but more expensive. Mostly because I choose to fix my own meals on Bonaire and I can cook cheaper (no way breakfast cost me $10 - $11 per person per day). Of course, I don't fix meals as extensive as they provide on live-aboards, but I really don't require them either.

I was disappointed in Roatan, but much of that could be because of the weather...I was there between two tropical storms last Oct.

One question I have, is why the shore dives on Curacao (and maybe other Carib Islands) cost so much. Places like dive bus charge $50/tank - which is what many boat dives cost. But they don't have the overhead of a boat. I'm not picking on this particular dive-op, just an example of what I found when researching shore diving on Curacao.

I'm a single diver, but probably won't dive solo in unfamiliar waters.

Looking forward to others' comments. :popcorn:

I think maybe you looked at their rates wrong. I just got off their website and that $50 you mention is for guided dives. For just shore diving on your own I think I saw $9 per tank with a $25 maximum per day.

Robin,

Thanks so much for detailed reply.
I am not a photographer and I actually like everything; big animals are always fun but great macro does it to me as well.
I travel alone for diving [wife doesn't dive and kids are 7 years old] I love diving solo and do it always in Bonaire but am okay to join others. I have been on few liveaboards and the downside of being alone on a liveaboard is that they are usually very confined. My last liveaboard in life was the Saba - St. Kits trip in which I found myself alone with a group of stock brokers [ALL the others...] - this week was a week from hell - the "market" was the ONLY topic of conversation and there was no escape!

I have been to Coco View as well as Bay Island Beach Resort, and totally agree with you and I have spent the last two Decembers in Cozumel so we agree but I am looking for more ideas.

Well, I think you have hit the best options in the Caribbean.
Have you thought about cenote diving on Yucatan. It isn't solo, and it isn't dive dive dive, but it is so completely different than the ocean you might find it interesting and a new passion. Nicholas at Cenote Experience would be a good fit for you, with your experience. He will take you away from the crowds, too. :wink:
www.cenotexperience.com.mx

As far as shore diving in Hawaii.... Maui looks much easier than Kona. Kona shores are lava rock and I really didn't see a single shore entry that I thought looked easy. I didn't see them all, obviously, but crashing waves and jagged lava rock = scary to me!
Maui has lots of beach entries. The cost is higher than you will find for Bonaire, for everything! But the fishlife will be different.

I know what you mean about liveaboards. We have never had a problem with groups, but I have friends who have. You might want to look at a liveaboard in Palau still, but maybe try finding a group to go with that you would feel comfortable with. You can post your interest down on the Pacific Islands forum, see what groups are going you might like. We did the Expeditions Fleet liveaboard and our boat had a couple from Thailand, a solo lady from China for a few days, a couple from US, a solo lady from Germany for a few days, an Australian guy, a group of 5 tech divers from US, a solo guy from US, and us. Nice mix of people, we all got along from Day 1. That liveaboard company advertises much more overseas, so you get more of a mix of people, plus it is cheaper than Aggressor and Peter Hughes boats. (The day we got off the liveaboard, a group of 8 French guys got on, along with their case of wine and wheels of cheese. LOL)

It was 5 dives per day except for 1 day, and each dive was about an hour and spectacular. Really really recommend Palau on a liveaboard.
Watch my videos here: Palau, Micronesia on Vimeo
If you are an adrenaline junkie, Palau is for you! Sharks on almost every dive, deep dives, blue holes, WWII wrecks, raging current drift dives, and sharks. It makes me want to go back, just thinking about it.
My trip report: Palau on the Eco Explorer - Dec 2007

So it isn't shore diving freedom, by here is an example of a Day on a liveaboard in Palau:
EcoExplorer_Day2_schedule.jpg

robin:D

I think maybe you looked at their rates wrong. I just got off their website and that $50 you mention is for guided dives. For just shore diving on your own I think I saw $9 per tank with a $25 maximum per day.

Yes, they are for guided SHORE DIVES. Not BOAT dives. To me, there is much less overhead (I own two boats, and I know there is purchase, maintenance, storage/mooring, insurance, etc) for Shore dives than Boat dives. I can find boat dives for $35 - $55 per tank many places.

I was asking because this seems the going rate on Curacao, and I was wondering what makes someone pay about the same for a shore dive as they would pay for a boat dive. I have no dog in this fight. I just thought most people would take a boat dive over a shore dive, cost being about the same. After all, a boat dive is less work, and can get you to places not easily accessible from the shore.

Waterskier1,
Curacao seems more expensive than Bonaire for all diving, whether its just tanks or boat dives. guided shore dives are "expensive" in both places. imho
hand holding is my only answer for guided shore diving--not always a bad thing :D
you're paying for personal attention

Bob,

I agree that Curacao is more expensive than Bonaire, generally. My question specifically has to do with why would one choose to spend $100 for two shore dives when they can get two boat dives for $60-$90?

I do understand the ramifications of "guided" (hand-holding) diving. Both the shore dives and boat dives I'm comparing are "guided" dives.

I'm not saying that guided shore dives are bad, and they shouldn't be offered. I'm just curious why they cost the same or more than a guided boat dive.

I must admit that I have never researched guided shore dives. Maybe that is because I own all my own equipment and don't require hand-holding? In any case, I find it curious, and thought there might be an explanation that was not obvious to me.

If you own all of your own equipment and come to Curacao, a tank fill here is Naf 10-12.50 (USD 5.50-7). Your own gear with a rental car should make for a great shore diving experience.

Jeff

I do own all my own equipment, but wouldn't bring my tanks or weights. That and a dive map of sorts or ideas where to go in from shore (and where not to!) is about all I would need. Which shop are you associated with? You may PM me if you'd prefer not to say here.

Oh, and one more thing....you let the tanks off your property for that price? Many seem to only let you use them at their host reef without a "guide".

Last edited:
Dear Waterskier1,

I'm not associated with a shop at all, I just live, and dive here in Curacao.

I do have my own weights (since I live here), but I just always get tanks at the place closest to where I am going shore diving. I've been here for almost 7 years, and have only done 3-4 boat dives the whole time. We have a good "Dive and Drive" map, as well as some dive books, and lots of the operators on the island publish shore diving guides, and/or are happy to load you with information. It does take a little bit more sense of adventure than Bonaire, but not a ton, and there are way more shore dives to be had here than you could get done in a one or two week vacation.

All the best,
Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom