Shore diving off Reef House Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be visiting RHR in mid Sept., and am interested in what shore diving is available there. I have found snippets here and there about this, and was wondering if anyone has any more specific commentary on the subject?:coffee: I tend to like trying to capture the small stuff on camera, and have high hopes for this trip. (Although a few nice fish swimming by would not go amiss either...) Thanks for your help. Woody

RHR has a great house reef. :thumbs-up The problem can sometimes be that it is hard to get at. If there is much wave action you will have a hard time getting out to the reef even though it is not very far out. There are coral heads that come right up to the surface in places, and many others that are near the surface. Waves will have you crashing right into them. Also the entry is a set of stairs coming off their concrete pier and there are lots of urchins right there at the base of the steps, taking care is a must!:fear:

That being said, the reef is a very nice wall. It is the same reef RHR does most of their night dives on so a day dive or two before your night dive can get you oriented so you will already know where you are if you do your night dive there.:ppd:

Saw lots of small critters on the wall, and quite a few Eagle Rays just out from the wall.:uwphotographer:

Have fun, be safe! BK

The house wall is a terrific dive. Many dive operations over the years have gone to their house wall during the normal course of weekly diving. As the post above indicates, it is sometimes difficult to access but even more often, it is just a simple swim from the concrete pier. Sometimes there are giant parrot fish swimming in large numbers just off the left of the pier among the shallow coral heads.

Just looking at the near shore structures from that pier, it's easy to see that a shallow night dive would be well worth it. Looks well protected, even as the ocean kicks up outside. There is an artificial lagoon "pool" thats another great looking spot- right in front of the bar deck area.

These pics will show you: http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/Reef House Resort Roatan/

I will be visiting RHR in mid Sept., and am interested in what shore diving is available there.

When will you be there WOODMAN? I'll be there the week of September 18th - 25th staying at the RHR.

And I'll be there August 7th-14th! Expect a full report on that house reef when I get back!

When will you be there WOODMAN? I'll be there the week of September 18th - 25th staying at the RHR.

Well, Bingo! That's us also! This should prove interesting. I always like it when a fellow boarder shows up on one of my trips. Judy and I will be looking forwards to seeing you.:D Have you any experience at this place? This is our first time at Roatan, as I confess the bug problem managed to scare me off up until now. But, our last trip to Providencia had the same problem (although no one TOLD us about that...:shakehead:) and we managed to survive, so we thought what the heck- its time we did this. I am looking forwards to this house reef, and the lagoon pool interests me also. Can't wait to get my camera wet. :uwphotographer: Woody

Well, Bingo! That's us also! Woody

No freakin way! I can't believe it!

What started out as a small trip between a few friends ended up being 15 of us. Well, 14 for sure but most likey 15. I think we have 6 couples and 3 single divers. I think you'll really like everyone. We are all pretty much easy going folks who love to dive and have no need for a lot of nightlife. Several of us do video and photography. I do video.

I use to go to the Bay Island Beach Resort but they closed down at the beginning of the year and when I called them, Ted, the owner, highly recommended the Reef House Resort! He promised we wouldn't be disappointed and from all the great reviews I don't think we will be.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys! By the way, we are flying in on the Delta flight from Atlanta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom