Shore diving off Reef House Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that's what I'm talking about! Amazing photos! This is the kind of stuff I strive towards, but never seem to get the lighting that precise. Astounding work! If I may ask, what are you shooting these with, and how did you rig for settings? Especially the macro stuff! Absolutely astonishing! (Okay, I will stop drooling now, but Oh Man!) :drooling: Woody

Thanks for the compliments.

I will pass them on to my wife.
She is the photographer.
My job is to deploy her and the camera into outstanding dive locations.

All photos were taken with Canon 40D in Ikelite housing, dual Inon Z240 strobes, and Canon EF-S 60mm macro and 10-22 mm lenses.

Oho- a high end SLR with macro lenses...I rather suspected as much. Oh well, they keep telling me it's the photographer and not the camera, so I will keep striving with my G10 and it's dual D125 strobes. I wonder about rigging one of those swingaway macro lenses to my Ikelite case though.:hm: Woody

I wonder about rigging one of those swingaway macro lenses to my Ikelite case though.:hm: Woody

I'm actually thinking about buying one of those lenses myself to be able to do some macro video. Subsee is one brand I'm looking at.

Your pictures are incredible...thanks for sharing. Wish I had the talent to take those kind of pictures.

Woody,

Your G10 setup should get you really good results, perhaps not the same as a SLR in many cases, but you should get some great shots with it. I shoot with a G9 with only a single strobe and have gotten great results with it. All the photos on the first page of my photos here on SB were taked with the G9. I shoot on manual and keeping the shutter speed fast keeps the strobe as the main light source on the subject matter; you just need to match your f stop to your flash output to obtain good results. Many of my shots on SB page are from RHR trip last August.

Have fun!

Just looking at the near shore structures from that pier, it's easy to see that a shallow night dive would be well worth it. Looks well protected, even as the ocean kicks up outside. There is an artificial lagoon "pool" thats another great looking spot- right in front of the bar deck area.

These pics will show you: Reef House Resort Roatan pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

We dove and stayed there in April. Shore diving is great, but can be a little tricky to get in and out when it's windy, as it was much of the time we were there. Worth the risk though because it's not that bad.

That said, we only did two shore dives, one when we arrived and one specifically for photos later in the week. We found out that 3 boat dives daily was plenty. The 'later in the week' shore dive was done on the day the night dive replaces the 3rd boat day dive. The night boat dive was also on the house reef, 5 minutes out around the caye (and also great).

The 'pool' is only about 2.5 to 3' deep, with nothing in it really. We didn't bother with it as it didn't look too inviting. But, when we were there a turtle was brought in as part of a study program and kept in there and we could have snorkeled with him.

One thing is for sure and that is you will have a great time. Mike is a good host, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom