Shore diving in nags head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be traveling to Nags head in 2 weeks for vacation and have some family that I want to certify. The house we're renting is on the beach and has a pool so classroom and pool work are taken care of. My question is this, are conditions safe enough to just simply shore dive the 4 open water dives? Or is it better to find a charter. I've browsed a few charters web sites and can't find any in the Nags head area that look like they dive spots suitable for Open Water students. Any help or advice is appreciated

There are very few offshore dive sites that are reasonable for open water cert dives. Even the very close to shore ones can sometimes have a stiff current and big animals cruising thru and are around 75-80 deep. It can be a bit much for a new diver to handle and there is little room for error. We do not run cert dives for this reason. You might contact Roanoke Island Outfitters and talk to Matt and Pam about your needs and maybe they can help.

You are correct that there are many sites available that can be accessed from the beach with most of them on the northern beaches, which is the area you will be in. I have listed a few of them on my web site on the shipwrecks on the beach page so start there. This season the beach diving has been almost epic as the water has been very clear off nags head area and if seas are calm will work well for you needs. That can change due to many factors, but it has been good for a few weeks now. Good luck with your dives.

There are very few offshore dive sites that are reasonable for open water cert dives. Even the very close to shore ones can sometimes have a stiff current and big animals cruising thru and are around 75-80 deep. It can be a bit much for a new diver to handle and there is little room for error. We do not run cert dives for this reason. You might contact Roanoke Island Outfitters and talk to Matt and Pam about your needs and maybe they can help.

You are correct that there are many sites available that can be accessed from the beach with most of them on the northern beaches, which is the area you will be in. I have listed a few of them on my web site on the shipwrecks on the beach page so start there. This season the beach diving has been almost epic as the water has been very clear off nags head area and if seas are calm will work well for you needs. That can change due to many factors, but it has been good for a few weeks now. Good luck with your dives.

What is your website?

Thanks!

It's in his tag line.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom