Shore diving in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks everybody for this info. We have been looking at a trip to Fiji, Beqa Lagoon Resort in particular. The fact that there is shore diving available there is a bonus for us. We love boat diving but also like to go out on our own to find little things. An afternoon shore dive there each day sounds awesome! :D

The shore dive at BLR is worth doing - in fact, I did it 3 times in the day and twice at night the week I was there - but I would rate it as "fair to good", rather than "very good". Definitely a nice bonus, but it doesn't really compare to the boat diving there.

The shore dive at BLR is worth doing - in fact, I did it 3 times in the day and twice at night the week I was there - but I would rate it as "fair to good", rather than "very good". Definitely a nice bonus, but it doesn't really compare to the boat diving there.

Fair enough :) I plan to do afternoon and night shore dives there if possible. Do they mind people doing night shore dives?

I have booked the trip now to BLR in September :) I booked a 10 dive package with 2 extra shark dives. The rest will be shore diving and I hope to get 3-4 of those in as well :)

The shore diving is unlimited day or night
You will need to let them know during the day so they have tanks out. Also bring your weights back from the boat, as the weights are kept on the boat overnight.

One option I did was to ask for an extra tank for the boat dives in the AM and have the boat drop you at the end of the house reef on the way back in at lunch. It will make you late for lunch but they will save it for you. Also you will have all your gear for the afternoon. That gets you three boat dives in the AM.

I am going back in August for two full weeks. Third time back.

Last edited:
Is it the same map in your previous post? I have downloaded and saved that one before :)

Thanks for the tip about an extra AM dive, I'm keen to do as many as I can :) Good to hear I can do night shore dives, as I love night diving :)

This is my first time to a tropical location but one of the people coming on the trip with me has been three times now too!

Im sorry if Im a little too late but Im surprised that nobody has suggested the Yasawa island chain. We've spent a 3 week stopover here en route to the GBR 4-5 yrs ago. I must admit dive shops are very limited in this area and we mostly free dived to 30-40ft during that time. The only real diving we've made was organized by Waya resort. The other options are the budget busting Castaway island and the rest which hosts the "blue lagoon" movie scene where it caters to celebrities!
Most of our stays were with the villagers (sharing the rooms with our hosts), no electricity, no radios, nothing! We got a cultural immersion by living with them. Women traditionally caught the Octopus but was invited by the elders to learn from them. We also spent quite a lot of time spear fishing ("Raba" the traditional way of spear fishing which the spears didnt have a retrieval mechanism!-meaning if Id miss, which I did 99.999%, I had to dive to depths of 30-40ft just to retrieve the spear-the gun was made out of carved wood which had a rubber or tire material attached to it!)

When we did all these water activities with the villagers (including a real "kava" ceremony), we saw excellent potential for shore diving, snorkelling or free diving just meters away from the shore! The corals and marine life was almost 100% pristine condition.

Im also suggesting that you can easily hop on the yasawa flyer and island hop all the way to the last island. You might want to avoid the party islands of the Mamanucas island groups (first leg of the yasawa chain). The real yasawa starts at Waya and ends all the way to the north. The cave up north has incredible swim throughs.

good luck!

The shore diving off of Paradise reef on the south end of Taveuni was amazing!I snorkeled off of the resort and they have an amazing wall right in front of the resort .The snorkeling within 100 feet of the cafe/bar is unbelievable.
The only downfall to this resort is its location to the landing strip on the north end of the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom