SHore Diving ~ Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fearnosurf

Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning!!!

I was hoping to get some advice on my first official shore diving experience.

Here's the 'delima':
My Wife and I are going on a Cruise with the family(hers). She and I are going to DIve Grand Cayman because we are still Newbs to SCUBA, and Grand Cayman has good shore diving, which to me will me safer than Cozumel. Soooo my question is, once we lug our gear to the Dive Shop closest to our shore diving place (any suggestions on shore diving spots?) what should we do with our bags and such while we dive? Everyone els will be off doing touristy things so we will not have a person topside to watch our bags. Any ideas on what to do with them?

The closest spot to the cruise ship will be Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto, a short walk to the south. A bit further along (long walk, short taxi ride) from Eden Rock is Sunset Reef / the Mermaid / Wreck of the Nicholson at Sunset House. The best shore dive, IMHO, which is easily accessible is Turtle Farm Reef (East & West) - take a taxi to the Cracked Conch Restaurant for this one. Ask locally about the current.

I have done hundreds of shore dives here, day and night, and have always left my bag, car keys, etc. on shore (unguarded) without any problem. Eden Rock does have lockers you can rent, but I wouldn't worry about it.

You can also take a taxi to the Turtle Farm. Divetech has a shop there that has some great shore diving. You can rent tanks and weights there as well. You can leave your bags at the dive shop, no one will mess with them.

Have fun. I wish I was back in GC.

Duane

How far of a swim is turtle farm from the shore?

fearnosurf:
It's pretty much right there. Head out through their little cove (which even has stuff to see) and turn right or left for 2 very different dives.

We, the WNDC, (Weds. Night Dive Club) dived Babylon from the shore last week and it was particularly spectacular. Pedro's is also good at night when conditions are right & the guard dogs are asleep. Tonight we are doing Sunset to confirm or deny recent rumoured bull shark sitings.

fearnosurf:
A better question is how far of a taxi ride is Turtle Reef from the cruise port - 7+ miles up SMB. And it's in a pretty isolated residential area, so I'd make return pickup arrangements with your driver. And allow more time than you'd think - SMB road is the only major N/S road on the West end so it can be busy at times.

Note that the Turtle Farm and Divetech @Turtle Reef are two entirely different locations that are close by. The majority of tourists go to the Turtle Farm to see the turtles in pools of water and buy turtle skin souvenirs.

Since the Turtle Farm is south of there so you might see turtles in the water. Though they only sporadically release them so it's not assured. Since you're newbies, the dive to do is the mini-wall. I wouldn't try going out the the North Wall dropoff, first of all it's a healthy swim out, and you really want to go with someone more experienced.

The mini-wall is a really great vertical wall that you can slowly drift down that ends in a flat, sandy bottom. Sometimes there's tarpon schooling in the shadows. There's a million fish, resident eels, and maybe some turtles that you'll see slowly circling overhead. It's a ladder entry because of the ironshore, into a small protected cove, then maybe 40-50 yds. to the buoy that marks the mini-wall. If you go to www.divetech.com and click on shore diving, the top picture shows it all. The white roofed building is the Cracked Conch/Divetech diveshop. You can see the entry cove, the mini-wall in green and the lighter blue sand area out past it. Ask the diveshop operators, they'll know what the current is doing, and give really helpful directions on where to see the best stuff.

You won't have to worry about your gear, everybody just leaves it on the dock. Nobody ever messed with my stuff at any Cayman shore dive site. And we dove them all on the West End.

If you don't want to make the drive, I'd go to Sunset House over Eden Rock. Sunset House is where they have the Amphitrite Mermaid in 50' of water, it's a good photo op. Also they have a really excellent reef system just offshore with lots of interesting macro animals. My Bar can't be beat for lunch - my buddy would go/stay there again just to go to My Bar - get the Jerk chicken sandwich. It's a really easy "cement pond" GS entry over the ironshore with ladders etc. Also if you're killing time between dives, see the Cathy Church photo gallery in the basement of the main building. Sunset House is just a short distance south of where the cruise tender will drop you in Georgetown, but too far to walk it with heavy gear. You won't have any problem finding a cab, Georgetown is open when the Cruise ships drop anchor, once they leave it pretty much shuts down.

The third option is Eden Rock, they have a nice operation that's walking distance - 100 yds. or less - from the cruise port. The dive there is Eden Rock/Devils Grotto, coral formations with swimthroughs. Some of them are a little tight. Personally it was my least favorite of the three sites, it's been over-dived for years by cruise traffic, there's less fish life, a lot of port trash -tires, cement, etc. and it ends in salt flats going out to where your boat is anchored. Also there's jetski's in the area, more annoying than dangerous - you'll hear them overhead, but it scares the fish away. And a lot of the coral is just nubs that's been worn down over time. After seeing spectacular forests of coral elsewhere, it was really discouraging. About the only fun part is going into some of the openings, but it's overhead restricted diving in some areas so you'll have to be able to deal with that. They're not very long, generally you can see daylight at both ends, but a couple end in closed passages. Upside is that it's generally shallow diving, I didn't break 40'. It would be last on my list of dives to do on Grand Cayman.

My other suggestion would be Stingray City, it's the most fun you can have in 15' of water. The rays are like big puppy dogs until the squid comes out, then they maul you(not really) to get some. There's also resident eels that you can get up close and personal with. Don't go on the cruiseship SRC trip though, they go to SandBar which is 4-5' deep. The non-divers in your party would enjoy it. If you decide to do this, make arrangements with a dive operator, they'll pick you up with their van and drive to the North Sound area and then out to SRC. You'll spend 45 minutes in the water playing with the rays. Take a camera, it's a blast.

Have fun, the water is crystal clear and warm. My best story about diving Cayman is one time I looked up from 90' and could clearly read the Scubapro "S" on the safety stop reg hanging off our diveboat. We were there this week 2 years ago so I'm sure your experiences will be similar.

Steve

I don't know what cruise line that you are going on but if you price the excursions on board the ship you may find that it is not too expensive to go out on a 2 tank boat dive. I dove Grand Cayman in Sept 2004 when I went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise and they used Red Sail Sports for the boat dives. Red Sail Sports was pretty nice because the first dive was the Cayman wall and the second dive they let us pick out of a list of different dives (everyone chose a wreck dive). The crew was very friendly and very professional. I think that it was about $85-95 per person if you bring your own gear and it was $110-120 without your own gear.

Even if they use a different dive operation they most will pick you up as soon as you get off of the tender boat and take you out right there after you sign a few waivers. They also have all of your gear if you don't have your own (I would at least bring your personal mask though). Going on one of these trips you don't have to worry about your bags....leave them on the ship.

For being a new diver I would recommend going on a guided boat dive for a few reasons. 1- you know how deep the water is, 2- you know if there are any currents in the area, 3- you will be informed of anything that you might want to look out for, 4- you are there with an experienced guide who knows. In addition to those reasons the boat traffic around there is usually very heavy.

With most of the cruise lines you normally have about 6 hours to be back on the ship once you arrive and they do not wait for you; the last thing you want to have to do is try to catch a plane to the ships next port of call.

Whatever you choose to do you will have a good time and enjoy the crystal clear water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom