Shore diving Cozumel- Who has healthiest house reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bugatti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning a trip in April, trying to decide between Cozumel and Florida / Key Largo. We are working on improving photography / videography skills, and are very pro shore diving (strike one against Key Largo!). Prices are about the same for 4 boat dives daily in KL vs 2 boat/unlim shore per day at Scuba Club Cozumel.

Was in Cozumel Dec 2011 and loved it, but found drift diving photography challenging :) Did not do any shore dives on that trip. Haven't been to Key Largo yet (KL scores a point for new location!) Florida also has a big plus in that we can make a side trip to Blue Heron Bridge (haven't been there since 2007... baby spotted eagle ray and flying gurnard on the same dive! One of my best dives ever!)

Purpose of this trip is to DIVE, DIVE, DIVE :) We will have a new camera rig, trying to get the bugs out before Bonaire in August :wink:

Wondering how healthy the house reefs are in Cozumel these days, and which house reef is "best" (so subjective, I know!). Any other pros - cons for people that have been to both Key Largo and Coz? We don't need Fijian style reefs (though that would be nice!), just some healthy coral and critters to pose for us.

Input Appreciated.

Take a look at Scuba Club. It is not coral but plenty to see and all the tanks you want. Good food and veryu clean rooms to go with it.

Not a lot of opportunity for good shore diving in Coz. Wrong Island. Photography can be difficult if the site has good current. But some sites the current isnt too bad. But from shore, really, just too far to the reef with too much boat traffic overhead. Good luck to you!
We often dive in front of Barracuda on our first afternoon in Coz, just to get wet. Always something to see, even if it isnt that great.

I'd recommend Looe Key over Key Largo but it's a boat dive way out from shore. (that's if photography is the main goal). Colombia Shallows if you do Cozumel.

Planning a trip in April, trying to decide between Cozumel and Florida / Key Largo. We are working on improving photography / videography skills, and are very pro shore diving (strike one against Key Largo!). Prices are about the same for 4 boat dives daily in KL vs 2 boat/unlim shore per day at Scuba Club Cozumel.

Was in Cozumel Dec 2011 and loved it, but found drift diving photography challenging :) Did not do any shore dives on that trip. Haven't been to Key Largo yet (KL scores a point for new location!) Florida also has a big plus in that we can make a side trip to Blue Heron Bridge (haven't been there since 2007... baby spotted eagle ray and flying gurnard on the same dive! One of my best dives ever!)

Purpose of this trip is to DIVE, DIVE, DIVE :) We will have a new camera rig, trying to get the bugs out before Bonaire in August :wink:

Wondering how healthy the house reefs are in Cozumel these days, and which house reef is "best" (so subjective, I know!). Any other pros - cons for people that have been to both Key Largo and Coz? We don't need Fijian style reefs (though that would be nice!), just some healthy coral and critters to pose for us.

Input Appreciated.

I've dived both locations. If this is seriously a major camera shake out expedition with great diving I'd recommend the Keys, for 2 reasons -

Keys are non-divemaster led dives. You don't need to worry about keeping up with a divemaster or a group, you can spend an entire dive on a 5 sq ft section of coral in the Keys if you want, secondly most boat dives are drift dives in Cozumel.

Both issues can easily be dealt with in Cozumel and wouldn't take away from a great experience, but if you're looking for which one would be more conducive to a camera excursion to shake it out and we are splitting hairs, then those are factors.

I wouldn't go to either place for the shore diving.

If it was me and I hadn't been to the keys yet and had been to Cozumel, I'd choose the keys to get to dive a new place. You will also be in the states with easy access to parts or accessories to your camera and housing than you will be in Mexico.

Frankly Blue Heron Bridge would be the ideal place to spend a few days shaking out a new camera rig. it's an easy 'shore' dive, you'll put your camera through all it's paces, especially the macro part, and if you discover a flaw or need something, you're in the US and have easy access to it. Then spend the rest of the time boat diving in the keys.

The best shore dive in Cozumel is to go to the southern tip of the island and head out about 500 miles until you bump into Bonaire.

I expect to get flamed for that remark, but it's unfortunately the truth. I love Cozumel, I go there as often as possible whereas I've only been to Bonaire once, but if you'e specifically looking for shore diving it's not the place you want.

The OP is already with you on that, he is going to Bonaire in August. He wants to test out his camera prior to heading to the big show in August.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom