Shore Diving around Panama City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is called the Percy Paine and is in snorkeling distance from the beach at the state park

I've not heard of that before- - - Where exactly is it located? How much is still down there?

I'd not heard this before either.... any more information?

I little searching and I found this thread that says it's not there anymore (see 2nd post)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr.../253696-st-andrews-jetties-old-tar-barge.html

This document by the State parks (2004) says it wasn't found in a recent (2004) search by the Corp of Eng

page 19 of http://dep.state.fl.us/parks/planning/parkplans/StAndrewsStatePark.pdf

A purported shipwreck was investigated recently. A team surveying the pass for dredging by the Army Corps of Engineers looked for evidence of a schooner, the Percy Payne; however, no physical evidence was found.

This reference says that there are only a few timbers left
FLORIDA East Coast Shipwrecks Percy Payne Wreck Panama City

SHIPWRECK DIVING Guide By Capt Dan Berg

PERCY PAYNE Panama City

All that remains of this wooden schooner can be found 100 yards offshore, off St. Andrews Park. Unfortunately divers will only find a few timbers to mark the site.

Basic shipwreck information and images for this section of this site was taken with permission from the book Florida Shipwrecks by Daniel Berg. You are invited to submit your shipwreck related articles, images and information. As long as the text, photographs, sketches etc are of professional quality we will showcase them. Full credit will be provide and a same page link to your web site can be arranged.

It appears it was sunk in 1916 and was a Schooner, west of the west jetty about 300 ft offshore.

the percy payne was a little schooner sunk along time ago. its halfway from the jetties to the pier. in about 10-12 feet of water.

I am interested in location of the Percy Paine wreck. I understand it is in the park on the gulf side. What landmarks are needed to locate it? How big is it? Thanks.

DECO is right, but there really isnt much to see as far as a boat goes, lots of fish though.
Talk to the guys at Panama City Dive Center, the one closest to the park, they have a lot of info. Also the pontoon rental place in the park is awesome, they give you a map of places to snorkel/ dive, and if you ask they know of some wreck site in the bay. good prices at both place. I'll get some pics up if i can ever get my camera working again.

I can't speak to the rental prices of the other shops but we (Panama City Dive Charters) are the cheapest deal in town for fills and pretty close to the State Park. $3 air fills and $5 nitrox fills 5512 Thomas Drive 850-588-8077

+1 on the shop.

Additionally, there is a "Chicago-Style" Hot Dog Trailer parked in his parking lot that has the best hot dogs in a 1000 mile radius :eyebrow:

here is a pic from the percy paine about a year ago. there isnt a ship there anymore, just some huge logs and a lot of fish, but its a godd beginner dive on snorkel trip.

70600012.jpg

I would like to second the PCDC recommendation....great shop, people and location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom