Shore Diving and Sand in my REGs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went on a Shore dive last night.....lots of surge and sand particles in the water. Got home, rinsed my regs and found half the beach in my regs. At one point the purge valve even got stuck due to the sand in the Regulator.

Question: In situations like these, is a rinse sufficient, or should I have the regs serviced??? Diving Apeks btw........

I'd take the second stage off the hose, pop the cover off, and give it a nice thorough rinsing while activating the purge valve. Let it dry well, then put it back together and put it back on the hose. If there's still sand in there, take it to someone who will take it apart and clean it.

Don't operate the purge witht he hose on while rinsing, or you can just push sand and salt into the hose itself. With the hose off, it's no problem, cause it will just come out the side.

Make sure there is no water *in the hose* when you remove the 2nd stage, cause you don't want salt crystals in there.

ShakaZulu:
I went on a Shore dive last night.....lots of surge and sand particles in the water. Got home, rinsed my regs and found half the beach in my regs. At one point the purge valve even got stuck due to the sand in the Regulator.

Question: In situations like these, is a rinse sufficient, or should I have the regs serviced??? Diving Apeks btw........

If It were me I would rinse the hell out of it while pressurized of course. Empty and refill the tub several times if necessary, press all the buttons, shake it around, etc.

--Matt

If they were my regs I would unscrew the top off and gently run water through it until i was sure it was all clean, then put it all back together. then try to purge them and if they stick get em serviced.

Follow Jonnythan's advice & you'll be fine. I open my Legend LX and clean the sand out all the time.

Guess I'll have to read that APEKs service manual..........thanks for the info scuba dewds.

No service manual needed... remove the hose (and look in it), unscrew the cover, and clean thoroughly :)

murphdivers286:
Can I do that with my Atomic B2 without voiding my warranty?

Keep it charged for the rinse, then discharge it, and pop the front cover. The bubble deflector comes off easily, too. No worries - I've had the get te sand ou of my B-1's and Z-1's many times. Its fine.

Of course the best way to avoid sand in the first place is to forget about... well, you already know what I'm gonna say... :wink:

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom