Shore diving and post dive exercise (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read an article this morning that reminded me about the risks associated with working out after diving. The basic premise is that joint and muscle strain after a dive can create micro bubbles that can increase the risk of DCS. In B.C. with our heavy gear and mountainous terrain, we need to keep this in mind.

I know of a few shore dive sites that require a big climb afterwards that can get my heart rate pumping and have my legs asking for mercy. It might be a good idea to consider sites like these into your dive profile. Limit your nitrogen load by making the dive a bit shallower and shorter. Increase your safety stop and maybe add a deep stop or dive Nitrox.

After the dive make the climb slower or take a rest half way up. You may have to swallow your pride a bit while other divers pass by thinking you don't have the gas to make it up the hill. But at least you will know that you are doing a safer dive.

Here is a link to the article.
http://www.awoosh.com/Doc%20Vikingo%27s%20Resource%20Page/Exercise_and_DCS.htm

Back
Top Bottom