Shore dives and other activities Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great list but don't forget Coconut Bay just north of Turtle Reef, the Hepp's Wall and Hepp's Pipeline are fantastic shore dives:
Is there public access thru the Coconut Bay property? I was told that the ladder at Hepp's Condos was for residents only and gets removed and stored somewhere else regularly...

Last edited:
In the past we didn't have any problem using the facilities and renting tanks and weights from the onsite dive op, Stingray Watersports; has that changed?

Coconut Bay would be a great place to stay, but they only have 3-bedroom condos and there is just the 2 of us. We didn't get there last year, because we ran into some windy weather. My memory is that it can be hard to find parking and drag your stuff down to the dive area.

It's not as convenient or easy as Turtle Reef for non-guest shore divers, but the diving is excellent. I know that @howswedeofme has stayed at Coconut Bay in the past so perhaps he can give us more information?

Last edited:
Is there public access thru the Coconut Bay property? I was told that the ladder at Hepp's Condos was for residents only and gets removed and stored somewhere else regularly...

In the past we didn't have any problem using the facilities and renting tanks and weights from the onsite dive op, Stingray Watersports; has that changed?...

Still in business and still offering shore dive
Stingray Watersports – Grand Cayman

Their website refers to "guests" so that may mean guests staying at Coconut Bay. I can understand that the people staying there wouldn't like a lot of outsiders tramping through the property to use the facilities. On the other hand, Stingray Watersports is a business and they need customers and I'm not sure that limiting access to condo guests would be a viable business strategy?

Maybe during the high season the resort guests would be enough to provide a suitable income stream, but that seems less likely during slower times of the year.

Perhaps we've just gotten lucky and they didn't have much going on so they let us dive. But in the past, they didn't hesitate to check our C-cards, give us a waiver, take our money, provide tanks and weights, and invite us to use their facilities and rinse tank.

As I said, parking wasn't easy, and there is a path at the side of the resort properties (not through the property) where you can walk carrying your gear to the dive shop area to get tanks and use the rinse tank. The path continues down to the shore and the ladder.

Turtle Reef is easier and usually our first choice for a shore dive, but this was really nice diving!

We've only been there during business hours but their ladder looks rather permanent and wouldn't be easy to remove!

CoCoCondo-65.jpg

Last edited:
Some topside attractions that proved popular with visiting friends and family:

Pedro St. James castle
A renovated old 'plantation house'. A nice insight into the past of the island. They have a sort of interactive show illustrating the history of the island. Also a display of nice old photographs of the history of the island.
Welcome to Pedro St. James

Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park
Botanical gardens in quite a nice setting. Showcasing some typical Cayman flora and fauna, and also some from around the world. Also breeding ground for the Blue Iguana, only to be find on Caymans as I understand.
Queen Elizabeth II Royal Botanic Park

You can get one combined ticket for both. Each is probably about 1,5 hr visit and makes for a nice change from heading to the beach.

Kaibo
Great 'yacht club' style place on the beach just a few minuted further then Rum Point. Every of my guests who I showed both opted to go to Kaibo and skip way too touristy Rum Point, and it ended up being one of their favorite places.
KAIBO- Restaurant, Beach Bar, Marina, Cayman Islands

Unfortunately Cayman hasn't got too many seaside restaurants/bars, as most of the seaside is used by the resorts and condo complexes.

Some of my favorites:
Rackhams in Georgetown. Popular with both visitors and locals, especially on weekend nights.
Waterfront Bar & Grill Dining Restaurant | Cayman Island

Al Fresco in West Bay. Great terrace right on the beach, but affordable prices. Especially check the specials advertised inside behind the bar. Some BBQ ribs with rice and veggies for 7 CI, on a terrace on the beach is a steal for Cayman standards.
Alfresco - Flava Cayman

Cocolobba
A bit of sneaky choice as I tried to avoid hotel bars, this is the seaside bar/grill at the very upscale Kimpton. However the food, service and location are very good, and prices quite reasonable seeing the location and that it is the Kimpton. Proved very popular with visiting friends and family.
Kimpton Seafire Resort and Spa

Macabuca
My favorite bar on the island, and were I usually end up (well it is also close to home!). Great seaside location, and a nice little cove for some swimming, or a snorkel or dive. Best sunsets on the island. Monday nights they have a great 'all you can eat' BBQ and all-night happy hour.
Macabuca | Cracked Conch-Macabuca - Restaurant Bar and Grill - Grand Cayman

Some mentions for my favorite restaurants.

Catch
Not the most budget place, but amazing food and I would say good value for the quality you get. Nice dockside location. Can be windy in winter months, so worthwhile to book ahead and request a table on the terrace behind the screens. If you dive with Divetech you can get a discount voucher, although I think you'll be still happy if you were paying full rate for this great food!
Welcome

Liberty
In a residential area in West Bay. A kind of 'local' restaurant also doing great Asian food. Highlight is the freshly BBQ'ed Jerk chicken and pork on Fri/Sat. Best on the island!
Liberty's Restaurant, Grand Cayman - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Gelato
Ice cream to die for. Addictive, you'll find yourself 'dropping by' if you're anywhere near their stores. Locations in Georgetown and Camana Bay.
Gelato & Co | Cremeria Italiana, Grand Cayman

A place I did't specifically mention, but which is always very popular, is Calico Jack. Very lively beach bar, and probably the most 'party bar' on the island. I seem to have grown too old to enjoy that scene... :wink:

I would agree with the list that diversteve gave. I would also put Hepp's Pipeline towards the top. The top of the wall there is some of the most unspoiled reef life that I have seen from a shore dive on Grand Cayman. The main issue there (which can also be an issue at Turtle Reef) is the current - Northwest point is fairly exposed and when the currents are ripping you may well end up doing a drift shore dive without intending to.

Some photos from the Hepp's Pipeline site:

Contact Stingray Watersports about access to the shore dive site. The link has been given several times in this thread already. My understanding is that there is a public right of way to the water from the road, and the dive station is set apart from the condos. The dive ladder is a permanent fixture.

Oh and KathyV, there are both 3 and 2 bedroom condos at Coconut Bay.

In terms of other residential shore dives, if you are staying at the Bonnie's Arch condo complex (where they have two bedroom and up condos) there is a dive ladder there that gets taken out of the water, and locked up, but provides access to the really nice Bonnie's Arch shallow dive site. You will need to get tanks from elsewhere, though.

Turning either way from Turtle Reef once you get to the mini wall is good - you get better mini wall going right, but the tarpon caves to the left - there was a large Goliath Grouper there last year when I was there. Having Macabuca there to celebrate the start of your extended surface interval doesn't hurt, either.

I'm not sure if Eden Rock will allow you to take takes to another site - it would be worth asking them. If they don't, then Diver's Supply on West Bay Road will rent you tanks and let you take them anywhere.

Scuba Diving Videos, Guide to Best Grand Cayman Dive Sites has some really nice videos taken at various dive sites around the island, including shore dive sites, so that you can get an idea of what is expected.

You may know this already but, in general, if there is a dive op renting tanks at a particular dive site, you are expected to get your tanks from that op, and not elsewhere. This helps the op to maintain the site.

Last edited:
IMO best to worst.

Turtle Reef - go south (left) along the mini-wall for the Tarpon Cave.
Lighthouse Point - condo complex with Divetech on site.
Cobalt Coast - on the North Wall - ask them about a tow out.
Sunset House - 2 dives plus see the Catjy Church store/gallery
Eden Rock/Devils Grotto on a non-cruise ships in port day or do one dive around 4pm when the cruisers are departing.
Smith's Cove south of Georgetown - get tanks at Eden Rock since SH has a no tanks off property rule. No facilities there.
Cemetery Beach on the north end of Seven Mile Beach but it's shallow. No facilities.

Completely agree. Perhaps add Bonnie's Arch.

Regarding coconut bay and Hepp’s. Family owns and rents a unit at coconut bay.

I have to say for the shore diving I’ve done on the island (7 trips since 2011). I never get sick of Hepp’s for the inner wall (either direction) or Divetech for the deeper dives as the swim is a bit shorter to the outer wall.

The stingray Watersports setup is stellar with the setup benchs, dunk tank, and showers (Duncan is a good guy too).

For the record regarding access to the dive site.

I’m not exactly sure if STINGRAY WATER SPORTS setup is technically on coconut bay property. As the road that is leading in from NW POINT ROAD is public (allows access to the houses on the right side) until it turns between the units and crosses the property, but the parking spaces at the immediate left when you turn in and then between the units on the left are private. along with road between the units and down towards the oceanfront units after that. parking is limited to the gravel right in front of the setup area (one truck at best) as all the actual spots are for the units.

I have been told by residents of Coconut Bay and other permanent residents that they can not restrict access to the water. this also is represented with the narrow beach access points next to SMB resorts. The, “high water mark” as I’ve been told, is where most private property starts. Again you will see this along SMB with the roped off sections of sand behind places but not reaching the water. My thought here is they can’t stop you from using the ladder as it’s technically on public property, even though it was installed and is maintained by the complex.

There seems to be a symbiotic relationship with CCB & Stingray. Without stingray there’s no onsite tanks and many renters come there for the diving. Duncan the owner stays in one of the units And manages some of the rentals Stingray also uses the pool near the dive setup area for training. On site tanks from stingray are also usually filled up a wee bit more than other locations I’ve been to. SO that’s a little bit more bang for your buck at the going rate for a tank being 12.50 USD.

I always get a chuckle when we surface swim out to the mooring and the people on the boats are being told how lucky the people who stay there are to have exclusive shore access to such a stellar site. All while thinking to myself “anyone can access the ladder”. It’s well integrated to the complex and made to look private and not necessarily made clear if you are allowed to be there. So I can see why it seems to be so exclusive.

Last edited:
Regarding coconut bay and Hepp’s. Family owns and rents a unit at coconut bay.

I have to say for the shore diving I’ve done on the island (7 trips since 2011). I never get sick of Hepp’s for the inner wall (either direction) or Divetech for the deeper dives as the swim is a bit shorter to the outer wall.

The stingray Watersports setup is stellar with the setup benchs, dunk tank, and showers (Duncan is a good guy too).

For the record regarding access to the dive site.

I’m not exactly sure if STINGRAY WATER SPORTS setup is technically on coconut bay property. As the road that is leading in from NW POINT ROAD is public (allows access to the houses on the right side) until it turns between the units and crosses the property, but the parking spaces at the immediate left when you turn in and then between the units on the left are private. along with road between the units and down towards the oceanfront units after that. parking is limited to the gravel right in front of the setup area (one truck at best) as all the actual spots are for the units.

I have been told by residents of Coconut Bay and other permanent residents that they can not restrict access to the water. this also is represented with the narrow beach access points next to SMB resorts. The, “high water mark” as I’ve been told, is where most private property starts. Again you will see this along SMB with the roped off sections of sand behind places but not reaching the water. My thought here is they can’t stop you from using the ladder as it’s technically on public property, even though it was installed and is maintained by the complex.

There seems to be a symbiotic relationship with CCB & Stingray. Without stingray there’s no onsite tanks and many renters come there for the diving. Duncan the owner stays in one of the units And manages some of the rentals Stingray also uses the pool near the dive setup area for training. On site tanks from stingray are also usually filled up a wee bit more than other locations I’ve been to. SO that’s a little bit more bang for your buck at the going rate for a tank being 12.50 USD.

I always get a chuckle when we surface swim out to the mooring and the people on the boats are being told how lucky the people who stay there are to have exclusive shore access to such a stellar site. All while thinking to myself “anyone can access the ladder”. It’s well integrated to the complex and made to look private and not necessarily made clear if you are allowed to be there. So I can see why it seems to be so exclusive.

I know that the shoreline on Grand Cayman is public property up to the water mark. Resorts can't stop non-guests from walking on Seven Mile Beach in front of their facilities, but they can prevent them from sitting in chairs and using the other resort facilities above the water line.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom