Shore dive on Grand Caymen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

personally, i love the Eden Rock site. i've seen turtles there, and huge tarpon,
and a zillion species of fish.

wnctarheel:
Thanks for all the info. I will talk it over with the rest of the group to see what they want to do, but the turtle farm Is my pick.
Hi,

Just for clarity, the Divetech Turtle Reef location and the Cayman Turtle Farm are two different locations although near each other.

Make this clear to your cab driver, unless you're renting a car for the day. A lot of people take cabs to the Turtle Farm. It's actually possible to get around Cayman by cab, we did it once. All the cabs we rode in were mini-vans so there should be room if you're bringing your gear.

Turtle Reef is north(to the left) of where the cruise ship dock in Georgetown is, seven miles straight up Seven Mile Beach Rd. And specify which Divetech, otherwise you could end up at Cobalt Coast, it's their primary location and better known.

If I was only going to do one shore dive on Cayman, Turtle Reef would be it.

Be aware that it's in a residential area, so there's not much else there except the Cracked Conch and I'm not sure if they open for lunch. I think the divestore has drinks and some light snacks.

Dive safe, you're going to like it. My best story about Cayman is that I looked up from about 90' once and saw the Scubapro "S" on the safety stop regulator hanging off the boat clearly. On a day when the DM mentioned the viz was a little disappointing.

Wow you actually made a decision. I's impressed! Let's go diving with the turtles. Blub, blub, blub.
Down we go!

nipi:
Padiscubapro - are you here in Cayman? Have you dived the Carrie Lee since the storm? Any news of its condition? I trust it did not tip over the wall.

nope just visit cayman a few times a year... Last time I was on the Carrie lee was in august... I was at sunsethouse in april and from there it appears that the buoy is still there (if my memory serves me correctly on which buoy it is)

Hi,

I just returned from a long weekend in Grand Caymen. We did a bit of diving and snorkeling. My favorite site was Eden Rock. In a short morning snorkel we saw dozens of tarpon and three different turtles. It is right in town by the port. You can probally walk to it from where you get off of your cruise ship. There are also several nice swim throughs.

Turtle farm has the walls if your into that. We saw squid and lots of pretty clear water there.

Have fun

We dived the Carrie Lee this weekend. It is intact and undamaged. A huge school of jacks circled us on the descent and 3 juv. whitespotted filefish kept us company on the line during the deco stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom