Shore dive on Grand Caymen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnctarheel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some help on picking a shore dive in Grand Caymen. We are coming in on a cruise on the 3rd of May and we would like to do a shore dive there. We where looking
at diving near the turtle farm,but I have just heard that the currents get pretty bad there.Can somebody give me some advise
they are four of us diving and we all have between 30 and 50 dives
thanks

wnctarheel:
I need some help on picking a shore dive in Grand Caymen. We are coming in on a cruise on the 3rd of May and we would like to do a shore dive there. We where looking at diving near the turtle farm,but I have just heard that the currents get pretty bad there.Can somebody give me some advise they are four of us diving and we all have between 30 and 50 dives
thanks
There's three options that I think are reasonable given the limited time you have before your ship sails. When we were there all the cruiseboats were gone by about 5-6pm.

The first one is Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto. It's literally walking distance from where the ship tender will drop you off. It's a series of reefs with a lot of swimthrough formations. Downside is that given their proximity to the ship port, they get a lot of traffic and the reef there has suffered for it. It was probably nice 20 years ago.

And it's a pretty shallow dive as well, once you get out past the Grotto area, it's mostly sand and junk (tires, cement blocks etc) after about 50'. And your ship will be anchored another couple hundred yards further out so you can't really go farther, I don't think it's legal to dive under your ship. Plus there's jetskis overhead in that area. I'd rank it the worst of the three options.

The next closest option would be Sunset House. It's located about 2-3 minutes by cab south from the tender port. I'm not sure of the availability of cabs post-Ivan, I've read a lot of vehicles were destroyed.

It's a very diver-friendly resort and they have good shorediving there, the world famous Amphitrite mermaid in 50 fsw, and a small landing craft wreck a short distance out also at 50'(ediited) so you can drop down there then swim back towards the mermaid - makes a nice dive. It's all really well marked but ask the staff to show you the right buoys, they also have buoys for their boats and the ship channel out there so it's a little confusing. They also have some really nice reefs in the area and lots of resident fishlife.

Great outdoor bar/grill called My Bar, just re-opened post-Ivan, for lunch and the Cathy Church U/W School of Photography is in the basement of the main building. Stop in to see her gallery.

The third option is Divetech @Turtle Reef as you mentioned. It's probably the most dramatic and interesting of the three, but it's also a 15 minute or more drive there, it's all the way past the north end of Seven Mile Beach. If you rent a car to get there, it's in a residential area so contact them for directions and you'll find it. The Cracked Conch restaurant is built on top of the diveshop so look for it also. That's what we noticed first.

It's a really good dive setup, their smaller diveshop is there and it's got anything you'd need. They have a permanent ladder that leads to a shallow cove since it's all ironshore bluffs in that area, you'd never be able to get out once you jumped in, it's probably 10' down to the water. The mini-wall is about 50 yds. out and well marked with buoys. The miniwall runs along that side of Cayman at no more than 50-60 fsw and you can follow it north or south. South will take you towards the turtle farm. There's tarpon hovering in the shadows, lots of fish and coral and it's pretty calm. Since it's just north of the turtle farm, you might see a turtle or two, although not necessarily as they're currently not releasing any.

Or if you're more ambitious swim out past it to the Cayman Wall. It's pretty close in that area, after the mini-wall there's about 100 yds or so of salt flats, and then it drops away to 1000' or more. Look at the shoredive section of their website, the diveshop is the white roofed building, the little cove behind it is the entry point, the green area is the mini-wall and the dark blue water is the Wall.

You could see some big Pelagics as they feed up the wall as well as all kinds of big healthy coral and fishlife. Watch for schools of eagle rays near the surface also.

Watch your depth, due to the excellent water clarity in Cayman, you can get too deep fast. We dropped down near the edge of the wall, I thought it was 60-70' however my buddy was signaling me to slowdown, when I looked at my computer I was at 105' as I came down over the edge. It's also a little eerie when you're hanging over the wall as there's nothing but blue below you. I read it's a 25000' drop on the East End, gotta see that sometime.

I was there last year pre-Ivan but I watch what's happened since on Cayman so this is still probably accurate.

Dive safe,

Steve

I'll second Steve's recommendation of Turtle Reef. Its my favorite Cayman shore dive. We dive it 2-3 times each time we're in Cayman. in my experience the current isn't that bad, but you should check at the shop before going in so you know which way its running. You can see loads of stuff just in the channel and shallows: lots of juveniles (spotted drum, angel fish), squid, flounder, sailfin blennies. On the edge of the mini-wall there are a lot of parrot fish, rock beauties, occasional puffers, etc. Without even getting out to the main wall we often see sting rays or turtles.

sdwho

wnctarheel:
I need some help on picking a shore dive in Grand Caymen. We are coming in on a cruise on the 3rd of May and we would like to do a shore dive there. We where looking
at diving near the turtle farm,but I have just heard that the currents get pretty bad there.Can somebody give me some advise
they are four of us diving and we all have between 30 and 50 dives
thanks

sjspeck:
There's three options that I think are reasonable given the limited time you have before your ship sails. When we were there all the cruiseboats were gone by about 5-6pm.

The first one is Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto. It's literally walking distance from where the ship tender will drop you off. It's a series of reefs with a lot of swimthrough formations. Downside is that given their proximity to the ship port, they get a lot of traffic and the reef there has suffered for it. It was probably nice 20 years ago.

And it's a pretty shallow dive as well, once you get out past the Grotto area, it's mostly sand and junk (tires, cement blocks etc) after about 50'. And your ship will be anchored another couple hundred yards further out so you can't really go farther, I don't think it's legal to dive under your ship. Plus there's jetskis overhead in that area. I'd rank it the worst of the three options.

The next closest option would be Sunset House. It's located about 2-3 minutes by cab south from the tender port. I'm not sure of the availability of cabs post-Ivan, I've read a lot of vehicles were destroyed.

It's a very diver-friendly resort and they have good shorediving there, the world famous Amphitrite mermaid in 50 fsw, and a small landing craft wreck a short distance out in 90' so you can drop down there then swim back towards the mermaid - makes a nice dive. It's all really well marked but ask the staff to show you the right buoys, they also have buoys for their boats and the ship channel out there so it's a little confusing. They also have some really nice reefs in the area and lots of resident fishlife.

Great outdoor bar/grill called My Bar, just re-opened post-Ivan, for lunch and the Cathy Church U/W School of Photography is in the basement of the main building. Stop in to see her gallery.

The third option is Divetech @Turtle Reef as you mentioned. It's probably the most dramatic and interesting of the three, but it's also a 15 minute or more drive there, it's all the way past the north end of Seven Mile Beach. If you rent a car to get there, it's in a residential area so contact them for directions and you'll find it. The Cracked Conch restaurant is built on top of the diveshop so look for it also. That's what we noticed first.

It's a really good dive setup, their smaller diveshop is there and it's got anything you'd need. They have a permanent ladder that leads to a shallow cove since it's all ironshore bluffs in that area, you'd never be able to get out once you jumped in, it's probably 10' down to the water. The mini-wall is about 50 yds. out and well marked with buoys. The miniwall runs along that side of Cayman at no more than 50-60 fsw and you can follow it north or south. South will take you towards the turtle farm. There's tarpon hovering in the shadows, lots of fish and coral and it's pretty calm. Since it's just north of the turtle farm, you might see a turtle or two, although not necessarily as they're currently not releasing any.

Or if you're more ambitious swim out past it to the Cayman Wall. It's pretty close in that area, after the mini-wall there's about 100 yds or so of salt flats, and then it drops away to 1000' or more. Look at the shoredive section of their website, the diveshop is the white roofed building, the little cove behind it is the entry point, the green area is the mini-wall and the dark blue water is the Wall.

You could see some big Pelagics as they feed up the wall as well as all kinds of big healthy coral and fishlife. Watch for schools of eagle rays near the surface also.

Watch your depth, due to the excellent water clarity in Cayman, you can get too deep fast. We dropped down near the edge of the wall, I thought it was 60-70' however my buddy was signaling me to slowdown, when I looked at my computer I was at 105' as I came down over the edge. It's also a little eerie when you're hanging over the wall as there's nothing but blue below you. I read it's a 25000' drop on the East End, gotta see that sometime.

I was there last year pre-Ivan but I watch what's happened since on Cayman so this is still probably accurate.

Dive safe,

Steve

a few corrections.. the nicholson (at sunsethouse) is on just over 60fsw of water not 90.. If you are in 90 fsw you are in the sand chute (or already near the edge of the wall if on either side of the chute) which leads to the drop off...

I would say the wall at turtle reef is farther out than you suggest.. I have dove both sites and I haven't measured it but I think the turtle reef site is farther out... I can say for 100% sure the wall at the second Divetech shop (cobalt coast) just down the road is much further out..

The wall at SH is very easy to navigate since there is only 1 sand chute for some distance so its hard to miss... there is a small chute much further west (near where seview was) but you cant mistake it...
The chute is so distinctive we sometimes do a dive where they drop us off on the carrie lee (165fsw-280fsw) (east past the gas tanks) and we swim back to SH (about 70 minutes or so)

Padiscubapro - are you here in Cayman? Have you dived the Carrie Lee since the storm? Any news of its condition? I trust it did not tip over the wall.

padiscubapro:
a few corrections.. the nicholson (at sunsethouse) is on just over 60fsw of water not 90.. If you are in 90 fsw you are in the sand chute (or already near the edge of the wall if on either side of the chute) which leads to the drop off...
You're right, my mistake. It seems deeper than the mermaid though but Sunset House lists them both at 50'.
I would say the wall at turtle reef is farther out than you suggest.. I have dove both sites and I haven't measured it but I think the turtle reef site is farther out...
Looking at the picture on their website it seems to be about twice as far as the distance to the mini-wall though. That's more what I based my figures on, we did two dives there including one by scooter, so I'm a little unsure. Definitely a swimmable distance though.

Although I'm not the diver in the family, I would also recommend Sunset House for another reason. Unless you are hauling a lot of heavy gear, its an easy walk from the Georgetown cruise ship docks, or a VERY short cab ride (only about 1/2 to 2/3 mile from town). You'll have plenty of time to dive, the dive shop is first rate, and "My Bar" has fabulous food, drinks and atmosphere. You can spend more time diving, relaxing, or even take some time post diving to see Georgetown and shop a bit. There is only one issue--you will be in Cayman during the PADI "Dive Submersion" festival at Sunset House, so it will be more crowded than usual. You might want to check in advance about shore diving there that day. www.sunsethouse.com

Don Foster's "Dive Casuarina" is also just down from Sunset House and even closer to town. Don't know the reputation of that particular location, but Don Foster's usually has a pretty good rep.

For either or both, you arrive on the Cruise Ship dock and bear right. First you'll pass Eden Rock, then Dos Foster's and Sunset House is the last one of the bunch as noted above.

I think Turtle Reef is the best of those shore diving options and worth going there if you have the time. (If you're going to catch a cab anyway, it's just a longer ride.) You can do some very nice dives there without even swimming out to the wall if you don't want to.

Thanks for all the info. I will talk it over with the rest of the group to see what they want to do, but the turtle farm Is my pick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom