shore/boat dives near Irvine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have to travel to Irvine on business early next week. Any shore/boat dives worth doing in that area, say Newport or Corona Del Mar or even Laguna? I'll try to get in a night dive as it'll be meetings during the day.

Can anybody recommend a dive shop for tanks and weights? Nitrox preferred and I'm set up for DIN but can do yoke if necessary.

I usually dive in Monterey with a 7 mm wet suit, which is fine down to about 40 degrees. I also have a 3 mm shorty for Hawaii. What do SoCal folks use at this time of year?

If somebody wants to buddy up on the 25th or the 26th, let me know.

There are lots of nice places and I hope people chime in, but I particularly like to do the sunset dive at Little Corona in Newport Beach; plus this time of year, you can usually surface into someone's engagement photo. Surprise! I haven't been there in a while, so maybe someone else can post conditions.

Lil C is very diver friendly, though there is a somewhat steep narrow paved path leading down to the beach. Halfway down the path are restrooms and outdoor shower facilities, and from the end of the paved path it's a shortwalk to the water.

From Pacific Coast Highway, turn south on Poppy Avenue, a very narrow road that leads to a cliff above the ocean. That's Little C. Also, the road here abruptly turns right into Ocean Blvd which leads to a park called Big Corona, which is really gorgeous too. On a clear day you can see Catalina.

We're diving 7mm right now, and sometimes dry. Have fun!

Best shore dives will be in Laguna, not too far from irvine. wear a 7mm suit. make sure you check conditions here first. night dives are good there.

You won't be too far from long beach, you should catch a boat from there out to catalina (on the great escape or sundiver), vis is usually much better on catalina.

Thanks for the "Dive with RichP" Kathy. I see that one of the 'posts' here said "Check the conditions first" THAT is probably the BEST advice you will get right now. Diving Laguna right now is "Hit or miss" because we've had some of the worst red tide that I've personally seen in Laguna diving in over 20 years.

But you are more than welcome to dive with us when you are in town. We meet EVERY Sat/Sun at the Laguna Hills Mall at 7:30 AM and leave for the beach at 7:45, DON'T be late. If it is your first dive with us, I prefer that you show up a bit early and feel free to ask questions and get to know those who you will be diving with, oh yea, U can car pool also, since you won't know your way around, that might work best for you. See the web site at http://southcoastdivers.com for more info.

Thanks guys & gals for the write up.

I can't seem to comprehend the visibility concept of local divers...I am a local too but new to diving(since aug2004). Live right here on the coast(NB)....I can't see myself spending my time and energy to dive localy right now....they call 10-15 feet viz.."very good" here, and now it's about 2-10.....get on a boat and GO TO CATALINA or there are great spots for hiking, biking, kite surfing, surfing, playing tennis, golfing etc. etc. Unless you want to practice your navigational skills, beach entry skills etc. I wouldn't dive localy right now. but hey, that's me.
Cheers and enjoy.

Don't forget, if you are shore diving in Laguna, the street parking may some times require lots of quarters, and don't forget to wear a snorkel.

Or, just hop a boat and go to the islands. There is some very good shore diving, but the vis is is always better out at the islands.

Laguna Beach can be quite good for diving. But as has been said the red tide has been a factor from Malibu to Laguna Beach and beyond. Some days the visibililty is 20-40 feet, and then the red tide comes back and it is 2-5 feet, or less. Deadmans reef (approximatly 300 yards off shore) would be my recommendation. Dont' forget local Laguna Beach laws require a dive buddy, BC and Snorkle. 7mm suit is appropirate all year long. You mentioned you are a Monterey diver, the vis here should be eqaual to or better than the beach dives in Monterey. Been there with great visibility and been there with 0-3 feet visibilty.

Laguna (and most of California) will require you to walk a bit down stairs to get to the beach.

I might be available for a night dive on Monay and/or Tuesday (562) 421-3094.

Laguna Sea Sports is your best bet for a dive shop located right in Laguna Beach (949) 494-6965

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom