Shore / Beach Dive: Entry Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hapiguy314

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

Sorry if this question has been addressed before but I couldn't find it in the Search function of the message boards.

Last Saturday, I went to Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach to do my first shore dive (from the sand). I've been spoiled by Catalina as I havent done any dives anywhere else but Catalina where one can just walk down the stairs and - yay just jump in and swim away. But it's getting pricey so I thought I'd explore alternative spots that are more local.

I asked some divers along the benches at Veteran's Park regarding entry techniques and it's been quite universal that most of them carry their fins on their forearms, walk out to the shore till they can swim and put on their fins when the waves arent hitting too hard anymore (by doing the figure 4 position). I had another one tell me that he puts his fins before he enters the water and just walk backwards, and as he hits about knee high to waist high depth, he just falls on his back and swims on his back.

I tried both and was a little bit more successful on the placing the fins when I'm already floating and my feet aren't touching the floor. However, I seem to have exhausted more air doing this compared to just falling on my back as one of the divers said to have your reg put on in case something happens as you walk further into the water. The walk from the parking lot, then down the stairs, then to the beach was extremely tiring as well -- so I was already panthing by the time my foot hit the water.

I thought entering the beach was hard but exiting was even harder. When we surfaced, we just relaxed on top for a while. After about 3-5 min of just relaxing (as some info sites suggest to not do anything too strenuous after a dive), I started swimming towards the shore. I removed my fins when I felt the floor with them. However, it was extremely difficult getting out of the rip currents as it pulls you back and I have to fall on my knees to prevent myself from getting pulled in deeper. I think the beach hates me - it pushes me away as I try to go in but pulls me in as I try to go out! :(

This was on top of some "brail" diving as visibility was so poor last Saturday... Nevertheless, me and my buddy got to practice some navigation and got to know the area a bit better as we intend to do lots of night dives in this area in the future. Exhaustion aside, it was a great dive day :)

Any advice or links of threads that talked about this issue already (shore entry/exit) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced.

Cheers,
Chris

PS
Should I rest by the beach (on the sand - 50 feet from the benches) to catch my breath before entering the water or just suck it up and just rest on the surface of the water. I know that diving 101 states never dive when you feel uncomfortable or uneasy but I'm just wondering if I'm not sucking it up enough or if it's just as safe to rest on the water before descent as it is on the beach.

I never put my fins on at the shore. Fins make it extremely difficult to walk, adding surf to the equation does not make it easiler.

Hapiguy314:
Hi Guys and Gals,

Sorry if this question has been addressed before but I couldn't find it in the Search function of the message boards.

Last Saturday, I went to Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach to do my first shore dive (from the sand). I've been spoiled by Catalina as I havent done any dives anywhere else but Catalina where one can just walk down the stairs and - yay just jump in and swim away. But it's getting pricey so I thought I'd explore alternative spots that are more local.

I asked some divers along the benches at Veteran's Park regarding entry techniques and it's been quite universal that most of them carry their fins on their forearms, walk out to the shore till they can swim and put on their fins when the waves arent hitting too hard anymore (by doing the figure 4 position). I had another one tell me that he puts his fins before he enters the water and just walk backwards, and as he hits about knee high to waist high depth, he just falls on his back and swims on his back.

I tried both and was a little bit more successful on the placing the fins when I'm already floating and my feet aren't touching the floor. However, I seem to have exhausted more air doing this compared to just falling on my back as one of the divers said to have your reg put on in case something happens as you walk further into the water. The walk from the parking lot, then down the stairs, then to the beach was extremely tiring as well -- so I was already panthing by the time my foot hit the water.

I thought entering the beach was hard but exiting was even harder. When we surfaced, we just relaxed on top for a while. After about 3-5 min of just relaxing (as some info sites suggest to not do anything too strenuous after a dive), I started swimming towards the shore. I removed my fins when I felt the floor with them. However, it was extremely difficult getting out of the rip currents as it pulls you back and I have to fall on my knees to prevent myself from getting pulled in deeper. I think the beach hates me - it pushes me away as I try to go in but pulls me in as I try to go out! :(

This was on top of some "brail" diving as visibility was so poor last Saturday... Nevertheless, me and my buddy got to practice some navigation and got to know the area a bit better as we intend to do lots of night dives in this area in the future. Exhaustion aside, it was a great dive day :)

Any advice or links of threads that talked about this issue already (shore entry/exit) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced.

Cheers,
Chris

PS
Should I rest by the beach (on the sand - 50 feet from the benches) to catch my breath before entering the water or just suck it up and just rest on the surface of the water. I know that diving 101 states never dive when you feel uncomfortable or uneasy but I'm just wondering if I'm not sucking it up enough or if it's just as safe to rest on the water before descent as it is on the beach.

Never enter the surf winded or fatigued.

Never, ever enter the surf if its over your ankles without your mask on and your reg in.

Never, ever, ever take your eye off the surf (the back in method...) Its an excellent way to get rolled.

I dive vets 2 or 3 times a week. Me and the team would love to have you join us some night (Wed's and Thurs are the most common.) We have hundreds of entries and exits there - we can walk you through the fineries of SoCal surf entries and get you in the groove pretty quickly. We're patient, we don't bite and few people know the area better than we do.

Walter is right - going in with fins on is lame. Especially at Vets - there's a shelf and you're likely going to trip over it on the way in when just in your booties... with your fins on it's hopeless.

Same with the exit. You gotta get over the shelf. There are places where it is smaller than others. We can show you sometime.

Welcome to the board.

---
Ken

You might try resting on the beach after the walk to the entry point then I personally wade the water and put my fins on then. Anytime you exert yourself, it is advantageous to take time to relax before continuing on.

Mo2vation:
Never enter the surf winded or fatigued.

Never, ever enter the surf if its over your ankles without your mask on and your reg in.

Never, ever, ever take your eye off the surf (the back in method...) Its an excellent way to get rolled.

I dive vets 2 or 3 times a week. Me and the team would love to have you join us some night (Wed's and Thurs are the most common.) We have hundreds of entries and exits there - we can walk you through the fineries of SoCal surf entries and get you in the groove pretty quickly. We're patient, we don't bite and few people know the area better than we do.

Walter is right - going in with fins on is lame. Especially at Vets - there's a shelf and you're likely going to trip over it on the way in when just in your booties... with your fins on it's hopeless.

Same with the exit. You gotta get over the shelf. There are places where it is smaller than others. We can show you sometime.

Welcome to the board.

---
Ken

Bingo what he said! Also, I have personally found that spring straps make it easier and faster for me to put my fins on in surf. Something to look into anyway. Have fun! I dove Vet's park last year and it was great!:wink:

I agree to not walk out in fins. Very good point to make sure your mask is on and your breathing through your reg. Puff of air in your BC, wade out to a float, slip on your spring straps, enjoy! :wink:

Springs do make this much easier and faser.

There is one place in SoCal where I enter with one-fin. Marine Land. Long Point, at Chica's rock. I'm able to walk down over very pointy rocks and sort of crouch behind this one bigger rock, slip on ONE fin, and wait for the trough to fill. As it empties, I push off and out with the retreating water, kicking with one fin as I don the other.

Works like a dream.

Springs do rule for surf entries.

---
Ken

I always carry my fins out into chest deep water and put them on using the figure 4 technique. Waiting till I am actually swimming makes things harder for me.

My preferred approach to a rough surf entry is go in with one buddy a few feet ahead and to the side of the other buddy; if you are side by side odds are excellent a single wave will knock both of you over. If you are positioned one behind the other the first one will knock down the second.

The key is patience. Wait for a calm period to put your fins on. If you try to rush, you will get fatigued and things will go downhill. If the waves keep knocking you down, back off, catch your breath, and enter again. You should have some idea how often the waves quiet down because you watched the surf for a while before you geared up.

Replace your fin straps with those spring-style ones. I have them and it makes taking your fins on and off a snap, even in rough surf.

You've gotten lots of great advice, so I have only a few things to add.

I'm something of an airhog, so to me the distinction between having your reg in your mouth and actually breathing from your tank is an important one. It's always in place as I enter the water, but I breathe around it until/unless the water level dictates otherwise. I just can't afford to empty my tank even a little bit quicker than I really need to.

It occurs to me as I type this that I can't remember ever discussing this with anyone, so maybe there's some hazard to doing as I described that I'm overlooking. I guess my statement should be taken as mentioning a technique that's worked for me rather than advice.

I don't know if you have much experience with surf other than while diving. If not, I'd recommend spending some time just playing in it. I practically grew up at the beach (even though I just started diving recently) and discussions with others have revealed that this might play a role in my relative comfort during surf entries and exits.

Like the others, I can't recommend spring straps highly enough. The difference they make really is startling.

Lastly, if Ken (Mo2vation) is inviting you to dive, take him up on it. I've learned an awful lot at his side, and had a great time to boot.

Welcome,

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom