Shopping time. Thank you Uncle Sam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukiedukie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well It is offical I have gotten my income tax return back so now it is time to get serious about my gear shopping. This is going to be like another Xmas Birthday for me this year. I will hopfully post a pic or two of some new gear by next week. The bad thing is I still do not have a clue what it is I am going to be buying. All dive shops in the DFW are need to be on the look out for a man with money burning a hole in my wallet.

I bought most of my gear from leisurepro.com. It really saved me a bunch. The local dive shops seem to have a lovely little markup. I bought some of my stuff when it was on clearence and that really saves a bunch but it may not match the rest of your gear. Who cares if you are color coordinated underwater anyway. If you are diving in Texas noone could even tell.

Keep your monies in local DFW SCUBA shops!! Face to face service,,,,friendships//classes//tips//outings are worth far more than the little you might save on internet purchases. PS---I still have the stack of diving magz. for you,,,have not forgot. Alan

texdiveguy:
Keep your monies in local DFW SCUBA shops!! Face to face service,,,,friendships//classes//tips//outings are worth far more than the little you might save on internet purchases. PS---I still have the stack of diving magz. for you,,,have not forgot. Alan

I have no intention of spending my money any where but the DFW area. Actually if my schedule clears itself up like it suppose to I will be stopping Surface Interval Scuba this Saturday for at least a wet suit. Debra I am hoping to see you very very soon.

I know I have not forgoten about the mags. Once I knwo for sure I am heading to SIS I will drop you a PM and maybe we can meet up before I have to rabbit to school.

I tend to pick up the smaller stuff locally, but I saved about $150 on a new dacor BCD by buying online. For me, $150 is quite a bit of money.

Of course, Scuba Toys says they will meet any price you find.

For all of my gear, I bought my bc and regulator from Leisure Pro, my tank and some other accessories at scuba toys and my fins and all of that fun stuff at Aqua adventures.

Absolutely, you need to support the local shops and keep them around, but diving is an expensive sport and I'm on a budget. :)

I got this thing I want to try stuff on as I have no idea what sizes I need. I am on a budjet also but I have a feeling that most LDS will match prices o n the big stuff if you buy it in a package. That is just my thinking on this

Lukiedukie:
I got this thing I want to try stuff on as I have no idea what sizes I need. I am on a budjet also but I have a feeling that most LDS will match prices o n the big stuff if you buy it in a package. That is just my thinking on this

Most LDS's do NOT match prices. The package deals aren't always a good deal. Some shops will let you put a package together then give you a straight discount on it all. It's the packages that have specific items in it that you have to watch. Just remember to buy the best quality you can afford, no matter where you get it.

I love the shops that will let you get in their pool to try out the gear before you buy it. A BC may feel OK standing in the shop, with or without a tank attached, but that's not where you're gonna be using it! In the water you'll see how it truly fits. That cool looking BC with all the D-rings and pockets can be a rigid nightmare in the water.

One way to go about buying new gear is to try out as many different brands as you can. Rent BC's from various shops. If some of your dive buddies have extra gear laying around the house, ask if you can try it out. And don't ignore your fins! Fins that cause cramping and leg fatigue will make your dives a miserable experience. Finding the perfect pair of fins has been my biggest thing. Each of us is different and have different needs so there is no one brand or design of fins for everyone.

Lukiedukie:
Well It is offical I have gotten my income tax return back so now it is time to get serious about my gear shopping.
Well done, i got mine about 2 weeks ago, it was used to pay off my DS purchase late last year on the c-card and a quick trip up to NY to go skiing!

StSomewhere:
Don't thank Uncle Sam, it was your money in the first place, you were just loaning it out interest free.
The only thing is that you have little to no idea during the course of the year what your tax burden will be when it comes to filing time (yes i do a rough calc based on 2003 tables, my income less stuff i expect and compare that to what i am paying through work, put in some inflation etc) as the tables arent published all that early and a difference of $10 per paycheck over 26 bi-weekly (or for you lucky ones 24 semi monthly - so much easier to sort out bills that way) adds up to at least a $260 swing either way, of course depending on how the year turns out you might be way off :wink: I try not to cut it too close and hate the idea of paying in april, so a minor loan is a downfall, but the amount i get refunded is usually only about the amount of tax i pay during either the final paycheck/bonus or at most the final two paychecks, which are paid only a month before i get the money back anyway. I give the c-card companies more than that during the year as well as the student loans and bank who have lien on my car, its pennies in the end. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom