Shopping locally

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was shocked today when I fond a local dealer for Apeks regs. Those things sure command a serious price. $500 for an ATX50 and $630 for an ATX100. I really figured the 50 would be a lot more affordable. I did get a chance to try out an apeks ATX100, Atomic B1 and Aqua Lung Titan LX. The Atomic felt the best to me. The Aqualung followed that and then the Apeks. The adjustments on the Apeks did make the biggest difference compared to the Atomic. The lack of adjustment is probably what would keep me from buying the Aqualung though. Now I just have to make up my mind and decide on a reg and besure that I really want to spend the extra money on a Uwatec Smart Pro.

I know there are much better prices on Apeks regs online, but I would really like to support the local businesses. Its just a matter of which one.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
I was shocked today when I fond a local dealer for Apeks regs. Those things sure command a serious price. $500 for an ATX50 and $630 for an ATX100. I really figured the 50 would be a lot more affordable.

at some point I want to "upgrade" and move my current T20 as my octo. Had a conversation with one of the guys at my LDS a few weeks ago when I brought my gear in for servicing - yikes!! I thought the ATX50 would be more affordable too - probably because I've read all the posts about people getting great deals online. :)

I also want to support my LDS - but at the same time, I've spent over $2500 in the last 10 months there, so I wouldn't feel *too* bad about getting a second reg online. My problem is not knowing how to get everything assembled (including switching the AT20 to be my octo). Supposedly it's not too hard - but at the same time, I would want someone to at least look it over and make sure I didn't totally screw it up.

chepar wrote...

My problem is not knowing how to get everything assembled (including switching the AT20 to be my octo). Supposedly it's not too hard - but at the same time, I would want someone to at least look it over and make sure I didn't totally screw it up.
I approached reorganizing my regs and hoses with a healthy deal of trepidation the first time, too. It was really easy, though.

For a bit of reassurance, you could ask your LDS to check your IP while you're getting your next fill before trying out the new reg. While they're doing that, casually ask if the hose connections are okay. It shouldn't be a big deal at all. Or you could ask for a full checkout...you'd still be $$$ ahead.

Don't forget to bubble check under controlled circumstances before diving, too.

metridium once bubbled...
I approached reorganizing my regs and hoses with a healthy deal of trepidation the first time, too. It was really easy, though.

Don't forget to bubble check under controlled circumstances before diving, too.

exactly what tools do I need for this? I seem to recall reading that an allen wrench was needed, but I don't know what else.

Bubble check - is that submerging the reg underwater while attached to the tank w/the air turned on - looking for a leak of some sort?

When you can buy one online for $275 and your LDS wants to charge $500 it really gets you asking questions. I know the online stores make money by seliing at higher volumes, but assuming there is 100% at your LDS that would make the whole sale cost $250, i know they have to making more than $25 on a reg. I wonder what the cost really is and how much your LDS is making.

All things considered I think I am leaning towards a Scuba Pro Mk25/S600 combo and a Suunto Vyper or a Uwatec Smart Pro Console and Atomic Z1.

None of those prices included an octo.

chepar wrote...

exactly what tools do I need for this? I seem to recall reading that an allen wrench was needed, but I don't know what else.

Bubble check - is that submerging the reg underwater while attached to the tank w/the air turned on - looking for a leak of some sort?
I use an allen wrench (size depends on the reg manufacturer) for port plug removal and a small adjustable wrench for snugging up the hoses just a bit. The hose o-ring provides the seal, so you really don't want to tighten much beyond finger-tight.

Right about the bubble check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom