Shopping for Food?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have driven by Zarpin a couple times. Sign said "No dish today" on the door. Went to Eddie's last night. No fish there either! :(

I should add the roadside food trailer Lionfish Lady near Windsock did have expensive, but nice, lionfish sandwiches and wraps.

Just as a heads-up to those taking frozen or dried meat with them to Bonaire: Bonaire, like most countries including the US, has strict rules regulating the import of meat (among other things). Effectively, you're not allowed to, including for personal use.

@duncdiver yeah, her lionfish wraps and burgers are great. Lionfish is by far the most expensive fish on the island these days.

Just as a heads-up to those taking frozen or dried meat with them to Bonaire: Bonaire, like most countries including the US, has strict rules regulating the import of meat (among other things). Effectively, you're not allowed to, including for personal use.

@duncdiver yeah, her lionfish wraps and burgers are great. Lionfish is by far the most expensive fish on the island these days.
Do you have a source for your conclusion? I looked, and could not find any rule suggesting that bringing frozen meat from the United States would be a problem. Bonaire Customs Regulations

@Kksmama good question! I couldn't actually find an easily linkable answer to that. I did find two secondhand information sites like the link you provided (here and here, in Dutch unfortunately). The Dutch Caribbean Customs site has a small snippet hidden away in their task description. Typical folders only mention the usual explicitly taxed items such as tobacco and alcohol, and a provision that you're not allowed to import 'prohibited goods', but only states the obvious examples such as drugs and firearms. I did find this regulation (official Dutch Gov't website, in Dutch), which is not flagged as abolished or superceded (many such documents were with the changes in 2010). The Netherlands explicitly bans it.

So between the Netherlands Antilles banning it before splitting up in 2010, the Dutch Caribbean taking these existing laws and aligning them with Dutch law, the fact that it's typically not allowed when travelling internationally (Exemptions are usually explicit, and between countries with very strong trading and regulatory relationships such as the EU), I think it's safe to assume it's not allowed. (Aruba and Curacao also explicitly ban it, but they are independent countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which Bonaire isn't)

I could still be wrong of course. I also believe it's information which should be stated clearly and explicitly on the customs website. I reached out to them by e-mail, I'll come back with any answer I receive.

@Kksmama

So between the Netherlands Antilles banning it before splitting up in 2010, the Dutch Caribbean taking these existing laws and aligning them with Dutch law, the fact that it's typically not allowed when travelling internationally (Exemptions are usually explicit, and between countries with very strong trading and regulatory relationships such as the EU), I think it's safe to assume it's not allowed. (Aruba and Curacao also explicitly ban it, but they are independent countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which Bonaire isn't)

I could still be wrong of course. I also believe it's information which should be stated clearly and explicitly on the customs website. I reached out to them by e-mail, I'll come back with any answer I receive.

This is so interesting, that with the same information we reach different conclusions. I have often traveled with food and researched various laws, and they always make sense to me. Everyone wants to prevent transmitting diseases/pests from countries that have them to countries that don't: Hawaii is careful about pests on produce, Australia is careful about beef (BSE), and everyone is concerned with invasive, and endangered/threatened species. Taking my frozen, packaged chicken from the US to Bonaire seems like it "should" be legal, and without evidence to the contrary I will assume it is. But I'll pay attention to new info, because I could still be wrong, of course!

Received an elaborate answer from Douane Caribisch Nederland (Dutch Caribbean Customs), including the relevant laws: All imported meats needs to be declared at customs when entering Bonaire, but up to 2 kg of meat for private use does not have to conform to regulations and is therefore allowed through customs without further issues.

The laws which apply are 'Besluit slacht- en vleeskeuring BES' and 'Regeling slacht- en vleeskeuring Bonaire' (both linked to the official Dutch law website. In Dutch only, unfortunately). Chapter IV article 15 of the former deals with the requirement to declare all meat and meat products. Formally at least 24h in advance, but the e-mail from customs stated that for private use declaration on arrival is acceptable. Chapter IV deals with the various regulations (quality, food safety) imported meats need to comply with. Chapter IV article 33 explicitly exempts a maximum of 2 kgs for private use from those regulations. (US meat does not automatically pass EU food safety laws, as some common practices in the US are banned in the EU)

All imported meats needs to be declared at customs when entering Bonaire, but up to 2 kg of meat for private use does not have to conform to regulations and is therefore allowed through customs without further issues.

Thank you for finding and sharing the definitive answer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom